AboutThe Riverbarn Restaurant and Guest House is adored by committed foodies, walkers and sightseers alike. The restaurant enjoys an excellent reputation for its imaginative menus and has gained significant critical acclaim.
‘Recommended in The Michelin Guide 2015’
‘AA Rosette for culinary excellence 2014 & 2015’
“A gastronomic revelation and an exceptional culinary haven” – Salisbury Life
“Two brothers create carefully prepared, flavoursome dishes” – Michelin Inspector
“Barnstorming flavours” – Wiltshire Society
This award winning, family run Restaurant and Guest House is set in a picturesque village of Fonthill Bishop in glorious countryside beside a tranquil river flowing to the stunning lake on the beautiful and historically fascinating Fonthill Estate. Set in an area of outstanding natural beauty [AONB] and convenient for Salisbury, Shaftesbury, Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, Stourhead, Longleat, The South Coast, local golf courses and many other attractions, The Riverbarn, just one mile off the A303, has its own a unique atmosphere with beamed ceilings and tables in the garden too providing the perfect relaxing setting for outside dining in the warmer months of the year!
Hosts, Jill and Ian Sutcliffe, have created a warm, welcoming atmosphere while sons Jonny, Head Chef, and brother, Tom, Sous Chef, help this family run business enjoy a considerable local following. Jonny has held positions in two Michelin Starred restaurants, gaining his early experience at The Goose in Britwell Salome, Oxfordshire, where he worked under Head Chef, James Maclean. Roux Scholar 2005, Matthew Tomkinson, took over as Head Chef and later moved to The Montagu Arms in Beaulieu where Jonny was asked to join him. He owes a great deal to both chefs, whose experience and skill have helped him develop his passion for British ingredients using classical French cooking techniques. Jonny joined the family business as Head Chef in 2010 and together with his brother Tom they have gained a significant local following for their flavoursome dishes.
Visit The Riverbarn’s website to see the latest seasonal Lunch and Dinner menus showcasing the pride and care taken to source the very best local meat, poultry, game, vegetables, cheeses, beers and ciders from specialist local suppliers. The wine list too boasts an impressive number of carefully selected fine wines. An A la Carte Menu, Prix Fixe, two or three course set menu and a Light Lunch menu are all available. Booking is strongly advisable.
The fully licensed restaurant is open daily Tuesday - Sunday with Lunch served 12.00-2.30pm and Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings with Dinner served 6.30-9.00pm. Evening meals are available upon request at the time of booking for B&B guests throughout the week except Sunday evening and all day Monday when the restaurant is closed.
Comfortable, tastefully decorated, AA Four Star Guest House accommodation makes for a quiet relaxing retreat. The separate barn conversion has three ground floor rooms, all with En Suite Shower Rooms, Freeview TV and Free WiFi. The reasonable rates include a Full English or Continental-Style Breakfast.
- Overnight accommodation available
- Al fresco dining - Eight tables available in the garden
- In countryside - Set in beautiful countryside, by a tranquil river flowing to the historically Fonthill lake and Estate
- Unique venue - The Riverbarn has old world charm and modern British fine dining cuisine
- Waterfront - River at the bottom of the garden
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - (Minimum age of 6 for B&B accommodation)
- Highchair - 1
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Large car park
- Cater for vegetarians
- Locally sourced produce
- Serve breakfast - A full English breakfast is served to B&B guests only
- Serve evening meal - Open to the general public on Thu, Fri & Sat evenings (B&B evening meals available on Tue & Wed as well) Restaurant closed Sun & Mon evenings
- Serve lunch - Daily Tue-Sun 12pm-2.30pm
- Special dietary requirements catered for - prior notification appreciated
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Booking required - Booking strongly recommended
- Cater for special dietary requirements
- Exclusive hire of restaurant - Available
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Groups accepted - by prior arrangement
- Licenced for alcohol
- Locally-sourced produce
- Number of covers - 35
- Open all year
- Pets accepted - Dogs welcome (No pets allowed in B&B accommodation)
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
The Riverbarn is situated in the small beautiful village of Fonthill Bishop near Salisbury in Wiltshire, on the B3089 between Hindon and Chilmark and is only one mile off the A303. It is easily accessible from either the M3 or M4 motorways and is under 2 hours drive from London. Situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty [AONB] and convenient for Salisbury, Shaftesbury, Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, Stourhead, Longleat, The South Coast, local golf courses and many other attractions. Whether you want to shop, walk, visit the seaside or just relax and take in the breath taking views of the Wiltshire countryside then the Riverbarn is the ideal location.
Public Transport Directions
The nearest main line train station is Tisbury, just 2.8 miles or 10 minutes away.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good8
- Joanne STisbury, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyI Love This Place.Sunday, 19th March 2017Another wonderful meal at this delightful place. Jill and Ian are consummate hosts, always welcoming and nothing is too much trouble, their sons Jonny and Tom create the most gorgeous food, and their... Read full review
- wylie77Poole EnglandTrip Type:FamilyWonderful as always...Wednesday, 15th February 2017Just back from Lunch here - as always beautifully judged service and of course fabulous food.....don't hesitate..... Read full review
- chris rThruxton, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayJust delightfulTuesday, 14th February 2017Our first, but certainly not our last, visit with friends for dinner. Not grand but for a pub without pretensions this gets it just right. Best to book i suspect but do try it. Read full review
- AA Awards AA - 1 Rosette 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Michelin Guide 2015