Mompesson House is a Queen Anne townhouse in the heart of Salisbury’s Cathedral Close with a homely atmosphere and welcoming proportions. Highlights include the magnificent plasterwork, fine period furniture and the Turnbull collection of English eighteenth century drinking glasses. It’s easy to imagine living here as you walk down the graceful oak staircase or relax on a window seat.
The hidden and tranquil garden is the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of Salisbury. The garden tea-room offers light bites, teas, coffees and locally baked cakes.
New for 2017:
This year’s exhibition celebrates the 40th anniversary of the National Trust redecorating, furnishing and opening Mompesson to visitors.
The new National Trust shop in the courtyard has a range of gifts for you and your home.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£6.30 per ticket|
|Child||£3.00 per ticket|
|Family||£15.75 per ticket|
|Garden only||£1.00 per ticket|
|Gift Aid Adult||£7.30|
|Gift Aid Child||£3.65|
|Gift Aid Family||£18.25|
|Groups||£4.90 per ticket|
Free to National Trust members with a valid membership card.
|2017 (11 Mar 2017 - 5 Nov 2017)|
|2017 winter (25 Nov 2017 - 17 Dec 2017)|
* Last entry to the house is at 4.30pm
Between Thursday 28 July and Friday 2 September 2016 Mompesson House will be open every day. Opening times will remain the same during this time – 11am-5pm with last entry to the house at 4.30pm.
- No Dogs
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Group bookings accepted only during normal opening hours.
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction - house
- Outdoor Attraction - garden
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Large print guide, Braille guides, scented plants.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access - ground floor of house, garden and tea room.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - City centre pay and display car parks.
- On-Site café/restaurant - Garden tea room, for 20. Light lunch and teas.
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 50
- Min group size - 10
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- French spoken
- Spanish spoken
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Map & Directions
Located in the Cathedral Close. Nearest major roads are M3; M27; A36 and A303. Follow signs to Salisbury. Park and Ride sites are located on A36 west of Salisbury; A345 near Old Sarum to the north of the city; A30 London Road - also in a northerly direction and the A338 south of Salisbury on the Downton/Ringwood/Bournemouth road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Salisbury station, 10 min walk. From station turn right into Mill Road. Continue along this road and Cranebridge Road to city centre. At High Street traffic lights turn right into Cathedral Close. First right, house is on right.
All Salisbury city centre bus routes within easy walking distance.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good141
- Jane DHorsham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSalisburys Gem!Wednesday, 22nd March 2017Stunning house, lovely furniture and glass, can walk all round rooms no barriers. Beautiful embroidery, stump work amazing, take a torch to view the faded colours. In fact always take a torch to NT... Read full review
- DaveKirtonLeicester, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayNT property close to CathedralMonday, 20th March 2017A stunning property with easy accessible lawns and boarders, well situated close to the Cathedral. Well worth a visit. Read full review
- rownhams2017Southampton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSmall but perfectly formed!!!Saturday, 18th March 2017Spent a lovely few hours visiting this beautiful house on a dreary Saturday morning. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We were made to feel very welcome. The house has amazing views of... Read full review