Mompesson House is a Queen Anne townhouse in the heart of Salisbury’s Cathedral Close with a homely atmosphere and welcoming proportions. Highlights include the magnificent plasterwork, fine period furniture and the Turnbull collection of English eighteenth century drinking glasses. It’s easy to imagine living here as you walk down the graceful oak staircase or relax on a window seat.
The hidden and tranquil garden is the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of Salisbury. The garden tea-room offers light bites, teas, coffees and locally baked cakes.
New for 2017:
This year’s exhibition celebrates the 40th anniversary of the National Trust redecorating, furnishing and opening Mompesson to visitors.
The new National Trust shop in the courtyard has a range of gifts for you and your home.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£6.50 per ticket|
|Child||£3.25 per ticket|
|Family||£16.40 per ticket|
|Garden only||£1.00 per ticket|
|Gift Aid Adult||£7.30|
|Gift Aid Child||£3.65|
|Gift Aid Family||£18.25|
|Groups||£6.40 per ticket|
Free to National Trust members with a valid membership card.
|2017 (11 Mar 2017 - 5 Nov 2017)|
|2017 winter (25 Nov 2017 - 17 Dec 2017)|
* Last entry to the house is at 4.30pm
Between Thursday 28 July and Friday 2 September 2016 Mompesson House will be open every day. Opening times will remain the same during this time – 11am-5pm with last entry to the house at 4.30pm.
- No Dogs
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Group bookings accepted only during normal opening hours.
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction - house
- Outdoor Attraction - garden
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Large print guide, Braille guides, scented plants.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access - ground floor of house, garden and tea room.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - City centre pay and display car parks.
- On-Site café/restaurant - Garden tea room, for 20. Light lunch and teas.
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 50
- Min group size - 10
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- French spoken
- Spanish spoken
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Map & Directions
Located in the Cathedral Close. Nearest major roads are M3; M27; A36 and A303. Follow signs to Salisbury. Park and Ride sites are located on A36 west of Salisbury; A345 near Old Sarum to the north of the city; A30 London Road - also in a northerly direction and the A338 south of Salisbury on the Downton/Ringwood/Bournemouth road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Salisbury station, 10 min walk. From station turn right into Mill Road. Continue along this road and Cranebridge Road to city centre. At High Street traffic lights turn right into Cathedral Close. First right, house is on right.
All Salisbury city centre bus routes within easy walking distance.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good140
- RevedwinLisbon, PortugalTrip Type:CouplesA Glass Collector's DelightWednesday, 22nd February 2017The House itself is in thr hands of the National Trust - a good period house in the Close - but what lifts it out of the ordinary is the loan collection of drinking glasses. If you have any interest... Read full review
- Barry SSt Albans, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessMompessonHouseTuesday, 21st February 2017A National Trust building which unfortunately was closed on our recent visit. From the exterior the building looks most impressive and is situated in the lovely Cathedral Close. Check your times and... Read full review
- Heather ASan FranciscoTrip Type:Friends getawayA hidden gemWednesday, 18th January 2017Mompesson House is a National Trust property within the Cathedral Close in the city of Salisbury. All rooms open, with a knowledgeable guide on each room to answer any questions you may have, A... Read full review