AboutSee gold from the time of Stonehenge! Wiltshire Museum is home to the best Bronze Age archaeology collection in Britain. Explore the galleries, see the outstanding collections and find out more about the fascinating history of Wiltshire and its people over the last 6,000 years.
Our brand new Prehistoric Wiltshire Galleries tell the story of the people who built and used the world renowned monuments of Stonehenge and Avebury. Unique gold and amber objects date back over 4,000 years to the Bronze Age – the time of shamans and priests, learning and culture across Europe. Later periods, including the Iron Age, Romans and Saxons, are also featured, together with the story of Devizes and the surrounding area. There are fun activities for all the family throughout the Museum.
Special exhibitions are held throughout the year – displaying the work of renowned artists, the Wiltshire landscape or highlighting more of our vast collection. Visit our website for details of current exhibitions and events. We have an extensive archive and library, which is open to visitors and researchers. Our collections are Designated by the government as being of national importance.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult with Gift Aid||£6.00 per ticket|
|Concession with Gift Aid||£5.00 per ticket|
|School groups||£3.00 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2017 (25 Mar 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|2018 (1 Jan 2018 - 18 Mar 2018)|
* General Opening TextDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.No.
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Sound effects in some galleries. Large print labeols and guides.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- American Express accepted
- Approx length of visit
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Diners Club accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 60
- Min group size - 10
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Open all year
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
Map & Directions
Long Street is on the A360 just 3 minutes' walk from town centre. By car: From Bristol via the M4 - leave the M4 at Junction 17 and take the A342 via Chippenham. From London, leave the M4 at Junction 15; take the A346 to Marlborough, then the A4 and the A361 and A360.
From the south east - follow the M3 to Junction 8 and take the A303 and A342 via Ludgershall.
From the south - follow the A350 to Semington and then the A361 and A360.
Public Transport Directions
By train: there are main line railway stations at Bath, Chippenham, Pewsey, Swindon and Westbury.
By bus: there is an excellent bus connection to Bath (X272), Swindon and Trowbridge (49), Chippenham (33 and X33) and good connections to many other towns and villages.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good63
- annekag1Walsall, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessInformativeWednesday, 22nd March 2017Brilliant layout. Floors were a little unstable for client with walking sticks but other than that staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful! Was given a full explanation of the layout on... Read full review
- chris nChippenham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayFascinatingSunday, 19th March 2017Never visited this before. It's so interesting. There are some fascinating artefacts from Stonehenge and other local areas. And written posters, cards etc are on each exhibit. Such a lot of info to... Read full review
- shelleycZ9FBOxford, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelLovely museumSunday, 12th March 2017I liked the idiosyncratic nature of the Wiltshire museum. It felt individual, local and 'right sized'. The staff who run it are very friendly and I picked up some great birthday presents in the shop! Read full review