AboutThe Riverbarn Restaurant and Guest House is adored by committed foodies, walkers and sightseers alike. The restaurant enjoys an excellent reputation for its imaginative menus and has gained significant critical acclaim.
‘Recommended in The Michelin Guide 2015’
‘AA Rosette for culinary excellence 2014 & 2015’
“A gastronomic revelation and an exceptional culinary haven” – Salisbury Life
“Two brothers create carefully prepared, flavoursome dishes” – Michelin Inspector
“Barnstorming flavours” – Wiltshire Society
This award winning, family run Restaurant and Guest House is set in a picturesque village of Fonthill Bishop in glorious countryside beside a tranquil river flowing to the stunning lake on the beautiful and historically fascinating Fonthill Estate. Set in an area of outstanding natural beauty [AONB] and convenient for Salisbury, Shaftesbury, Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, Stourhead, Longleat, The South Coast, local golf courses and many other attractions, The Riverbarn, just one mile off the A303, has its own a unique atmosphere with beamed ceilings and tables in the garden too providing the perfect relaxing setting for outside dining in the warmer months of the year!
Hosts, Jill and Ian Sutcliffe, have created a warm, welcoming atmosphere while sons Jonny, Head Chef, and brother, Tom, Sous Chef, help this family run business enjoy a considerable local following. Jonny has held positions in two Michelin Starred restaurants, gaining his early experience at The Goose in Britwell Salome, Oxfordshire, where he worked under Head Chef, James Maclean. Roux Scholar 2005, Matthew Tomkinson, took over as Head Chef and later moved to The Montagu Arms in Beaulieu where Jonny was asked to join him. He owes a great deal to both chefs, whose experience and skill have helped him develop his passion for British ingredients using classical French cooking techniques. Jonny joined the family business as Head Chef in 2010 and together with his brother Tom they have gained a significant local following for their flavoursome dishes.
Visit The Riverbarn’s website to see the latest seasonal Lunch and Dinner menus showcasing the pride and care taken to source the very best local meat, poultry, game, vegetables, cheeses, beers and ciders from specialist local suppliers. The wine list too boasts an impressive number of carefully selected fine wines. An A la Carte Menu, Prix Fixe, two or three course set menu and a Light Lunch menu are all available. Booking is strongly advisable.
The fully licensed restaurant is open daily Tuesday - Sunday with Lunch served 12.00-2.30pm and Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings with Dinner served 6.30-9.00pm. Evening meals are available upon request at the time of booking for B&B guests throughout the week except Sunday evening and all day Monday when the restaurant is closed.
Comfortable, tastefully decorated, AA Four Star Guest House accommodation makes for a quiet relaxing retreat. The separate barn conversion has three ground floor rooms, all with En Suite Shower Rooms, Freeview TV and Free WiFi. The reasonable rates include a Full English or Continental-Style Breakfast.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Locally sourced produce
- Serve breakfast - A full English breakfast is served to B&B guests only
- Serve evening meal - Open to the general public on Thu, Fri & Sat evenings (B&B evening meals available on Tue & Wed as well) Restaurant closed Sun & Mon evenings
- Serve lunch - Daily Tue-Sun 12pm-2.30pm
- Special dietary requirements catered for - prior notification appreciated
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - (Minimum age of 6 for B&B accommodation)
- Highchair - 1
- Al Fresco Dining - Eight tables available in the garden
- Booking required - Booking strongly recommended
- Cater for special dietary requirements
- Exclusive hire of restaurant - Available
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Groups accepted - by prior arrangement
- Licenced for alcohol
- Locally-sourced produce
- Number of covers - 35
- Open All Year
- Pets accepted - Dogs welcome (No pets allowed in B&B accommodation)
- In countryside - Set in beautiful countryside, by a tranquil river flowing to the historically Fonthill lake and Estate
- Unique venue - The Riverbarn has old world charm and modern British fine dining cuisine
- Waterfront - River at the bottom of the garden
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Large car park
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Overnight accommodation available
Map & Directions
The Riverbarn is situated in the small beautiful village of Fonthill Bishop near Salisbury in Wiltshire, on the B3089 between Hindon and Chilmark and is only one mile off the A303. It is easily accessible from either the M3 or M4 motorways and is under 2 hours drive from London. Situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty [AONB] and convenient for Salisbury, Shaftesbury, Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, Stourhead, Longleat, The South Coast, local golf courses and many other attractions. Whether you want to shop, walk, visit the seaside or just relax and take in the breath taking views of the Wiltshire countryside then the Riverbarn is the ideal location.
Public Transport Directions
The nearest main line train station is Tisbury, just 2.8 miles or 10 minutes away.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good12
- J5649YXchristGillingham, United KingdomLovely setting with great foodMonday, 9th September 2019We have been trying to get to eat here for a wee while. Thankfully we found a good excuse to meet with another couple and get over to foothill Bishop for a lunch. The food was really well prepared... Read full review
- LfornTrip Type:CouplesTerribleTuesday, 10th September 2019Menu was very limited. Waited for an eternity for the food to arrive. When it eventually arrived me and partner were quite bemused, horrible food which was expensive, lukewarm and tasted awful. The... Read full review
- 121happydKingston upon Thames, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFabulous setting, quaint rooms, lovely food.... but in need of much better organisationSaturday, 21st September 2019We took 2 rooms overnight. Rooms charming but were not clean. The thought is there but lack of attention to detail. They provided miniature single use toiletries but these were already half used... Read full review
- AA Awards AA - 1 Rosette 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Michelin Guide 2015