Events & What's On - Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival 2013 - Festival in Salisbury, Salisbury - VisitWiltshire
Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival 2013
Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival presents a wonderful array of spectacular events. Classical and world music share the limelight with international theatre, dance, film, visual arts, children’s events, free outdoor events and a full literature programme. The Festival draws the best artists from around the world, commissioning and creating work unique to the region.
In 2013, the Festival will celebrate the vibrant arts of Catalunya, through Catalan theatre, film, dance, music, talks and food. Human castles will be built outside the Cathedral spire in Catalan tradition by the Castellers of Vilafranca. World famous Catalan artists will perform, including Pep Bou, Nats Nus, Los Galindos, Cobla St Jordi, Jordi Savall and Carles Santos. The city will be adorned with breath-taking installations from Girona’s Flower Festival and there will be opportunities to sample Catalan cuisine. The Catalan programme is supported by the Institut Ramon Llull, which promotes Catalan language and culture abroad.
The Festival programme features events for everyone to enjoy:
• Close Encounters, on the opening Saturday of the Festival (25 May), will begin the Festival in spectacular style. The day will feature free entertainment for all in Salisbury Cathedral Close, including the classic Festival Playday, a wide variety of new, world-class street theatre and installations, Catalan cooking and more. The Fireworks will take place in the evening.
• The Festival will host an exciting range of family events, including Festival favourites Illyria who return with a performance of Dick King-Smith’s Babe the Sheep-Pig. There are plenty of events to engage children of all ages, from re-workings of classic fairytales to entirely new experiences and workshops for hands-on creativity.
• The 2013 literature programme boasts John McCarthy, Kate Humble, Dan Snow, A C Grayling and others, presenting a wide range of subjects for discussion and debate. The vice-president of Futbol Club Barcelona, Carles Vilarrubí, will also be giving a talk.
• The glorious setting of Salisbury Cathedral will host a number of spectacular events, featuring highlights of this year’s classical music programme. The Cathedral will be transformed by Circa and I Fagiolini, who will bring a combination of beautiful music and exhilarating acrobatic feats into this sacred space in How Like An Angel. The Festival will showcase performances in numerous other fantastic settings in and around the city, including Old Wardour Castle and Wilton Church from Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, Fretwork, the Hilliard Ensemble, the Allegri Quartet, the Tallis Scholars and more.
• The Festival will present a range of musical styles across Salisbury, from a rich classical programme to fun, popular Catalan bands including Astrio and La Troba Kung-Fú. The ever-popular Salisbury Live will host local bands in pubs throughout the city.
• Six Highlight events, released in December, have already generated great interest and enthusiasm for the 2013 Festival, with Pinchas Zukerman and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra proving particularly popular.
|various opening times (24/05/2013 - 08/06/2013)|
* Various opening times
Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival presents a wonderful array of spectacular events....0.03 miles away
Queen Anne house with magnificent plasterwork, fine oak staircase, period furniture and important...0.04 miles away
The Museum tells the story of the infantryman from the Seven Years War to the present day. On the...0.07 miles away
Be inspired by this magnificent medieval cathedral surrounded by 8 acres of lawn and historic...0.19 miles away
Home of the award-winning Stonehenge Gallery and the ‘Amesbury Archer’. Displays reveal the history...0.22 miles away
Situated in Grade I Listed buildings in Salisbury’s Cathedral Close, Sarum College hosts a regular...0.22 miles away
The best way to discover the mysterious stones! Our distinctive buses with recorded audio...0.28 miles away
Explore a treasure trove of amazing artwork in the largest independent art gallery in the South...0.28 miles away
Discover the story of the original Salisbury with a day out to Old Sarum, 2 miles north of where...1.78 miles away
Collection of aircraft, cockpits, replicas and models weapons and trials equipment to show the...2.27 miles away
Wilton House, home to the 18th Earl of Pembroke, provides a fascinating insight into British...2.66 miles away
The Wilton Shopping Village offers you a unique shopping experience - good value in an historic,...2.73 miles away
Salisbury Racecourse is one of England’s oldest racecourses, racing having taken place at the...2.85 miles away
Downton Cuckoo Fair is an ideal family event and entry is FREE. Over 250 craft and other quality...5.5 miles away
Just 2 miles from Stonehenge, Amesbury’s Royal past, history of flight & the breath-taking...7.14 miles away
Stonehenge stands impressively as a prehistoric monument of unique importance, a World Heritage...7.86 miles away