Discover the story of the original Salisbury and take the family for a day out to Old Sarum, 2 miles north of where the city stands now.
The mighty Iron Age hill fort was where the first cathedral once stood and the Romans, Normans and Saxons have all left their mark.
Today, 5,000 years of history are told through graphic interpretation panels on site.
Families, heritage lovers and walkers can enjoy a great value day out at Old Sarum - you could even bring a picnic and enjoy the fantastic views across the Wiltshire countryside.
The gift shop has a delicious range of ice-creams and exclusive English Heritage gifts and produce.
Wooden bows and arrows are also on sale to help the kids imagine what life was like all those years ago!
2016 marks the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. Old Sarum played a key part in early medieval history and become a base for William the Conqueror. In 1086, William held an important ceremony here, where the most powerful men of England took an oath of loyalty to him.
This year Old Sarum will be celebrating its Norman history with two Norman themed family events!
An original copy of the document was sent to Old Sarum Cathedral in 1215, and can still be seen in its successor, Salisbury Cathedral.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Gift Aid||£4.70|
|Adult non Gift Aid||£4.50 per ticket|
|Child Gift Aid||£2.80|
|Child non Gift Aid||£2.70 per ticket|
|Concession Gift Aid||£4.20|
|Concession non Gift Aid||£4.00 per ticket|
|Family Gift Aid||£12.20|
|Family non Gift Aid||£11.70|
Please add the following copy into the Note section - The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|2016/2017 (1 Nov 2016 - 31 Mar 2017)|
|2017 (25 Mar 2017 - 30 Sept 2017)|
|2017 (1 Oct 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
* Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Groups Accepted
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 150
- Min group size - 11
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A345.
Two miles north of Salisbury off A345.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station is Salisbury, 2 miles away.
Wilts and Dorset bus routes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (200 yards).
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good403
- Paula GTrip Type:Friends getawayHistorySaturday, 21st January 2017For those looking for some historic adventures this is a good place and the views are amazing. Great for those who don't mind walking Read full review
- MiobedaMilton Keynes, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelAmazingSaturday, 21st January 2017Old Sarum is a very suggestive place for history lovers. It is easy to reach and enjoy step by step. Remember to bring your boots, because it can get muddy. Read full review
- yasgeIstanbul, TurkeyTrip Type:Friends getawayexpensiveThursday, 19th January 2017for couple of ruin left in the area £5 is for me it was too much cause outsde is same and its free but place is historical and green also nice view of city Read full review