Stonehenge stands impressively as a prehistoric monument of unique importance, a World Heritage Site, surrounded by remains of ceremonial and domestic structures - some older than the monument itself. Many of these features - earthworks, burial mounds and other circular ‘henge’ monuments - are accessible by road or public footpath. Stonehenge’s orientation on the rising and setting sun has always been one of its remarkable features. Whether this was simply because the builders came from a sun-worshipping culture, or because - as some scholars believe - the circle and its banks were part of a huge astronomical calendar, remains a mystery.
Stonehenge now has transformed visitor facilities, with a world-class visitor centre housing museum-quality exhibitions, plus a spacious shop and café, 2km from the Stone Circle. Outside the visitor centre, the Neolithic is brought to life with 5 reconstructed houses to explore – based on excavations at nearby Durrington Walls. At the Stone Circle a sense of context and dignity has been returned to the monument.
Stonehenge has been reunited with its ancient approach, the Avenue, and the surrounding landscape open for exploration. Pre-booking is the only way to guarantee entry on the day and at the time of your choice; there is limited walk-up availability on the day.
2016 marks the 30th anniversary of Stonehenge becoming a World Heritage Site.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Gift Aid||£16.00 per ticket|
|Adult Non Gift Aid Advanced Price||£15.50|
|Child Gift Aid||£9.60 per ticket|
|Child Non Gift Aid Advanced Price||£9.30|
|Concession Gift Aid||£14.40 per ticket|
|Concession Non Gift Aid Advanced Price||£13.90|
|Family Gift Aid||£41.60 per ticket|
|Family Non Gift Aid Advanced Price||£40.30|
Above prices are for pre-booked tickets and advance booking is strongly recommended to guarantee entry. English Heritage and National Trust members admitted free. Please note: All Travel Trade, paying group and education group visits must be pre-booked.
The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|Open New Year|
|2016 (1 June 2016 - 31 Aug 2016)|
|2016 (1 Sept 2016 - 15 Oct 2016)|
|2016/17 (16 Oct 2016 - 15 Mar 2017)|
|2017 (25 Mar 2017 - 31 May 2017)|
* 26 Dec & 1 Jan, 10am-4pm 24-25 Dec Closed Last admission is 2 hours before the advertised closing time. Opening times for 20-22 June may be subject to change due to the Summer Solstice.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- In countryside
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking - Parking is available on site. This is free to English Heritage members and Stonehenge ticket holders. A parking ticket is required if you are not visiting Stonehenge itself. These can be bought from ticket kiosks on site.
- On-Site café/restaurant - A 110-seater counter service café serves hot and cold drinks, soup, sandwiches, cakes, salads and other sweet and savoury delicacies. Visitors can enjoy countryside views while eating delicious food, either inside or outside, where there is additional seating and tables for 60 people under the dappled shade of the canopy roof.
- Approx length of visit - A 2 hour visit is recommended. This provides sufficient time to explore the visitor centre, with its internal and external exhibitions and its greatly improved facilities, and to take the 20-minute round-trip journey to and from the Stone Circle.
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Visa accepted
- Audio Commentary in Foreign Languages - Audio Commentary in English and Foreign Languages, subject to availability and a fee.
- Dogs Accepted - Assistance dogs welcome throughout. Dogs on leads allowed around the outside of the visitor centre. Dogs also welcome on National Trust land.
- Open all year
- Tea / Coffee Shop
Audio Commentary in Foreign Languages
- Dutch audio guide
- French audio guide
- German audio guide
- Italian audio guide
- Japanese audio guide
- Mandarin audio guide
- Polish audio guide
- Russian audio guide
- Spanish audio guide
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Mandarin printed material
- Russian printed material
- Spanish printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Education group visits must be pre-booked, call +44 (0) 370 333 0606 for further details.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Stonehenge entrance is on A334 - accessible via A303 or A360.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station is Salisbury. Bus: The Stonehenge Tour bus from Salisbury Rail or central Salisbury.
- New Dawn at Stonehenge
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good2382
- emmadesignsLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSuch a cool placeTuesday, 23rd August 2016It has been 20 years since my first visit. There is now a nice welcome centre. There is now the choice of a pleasant 30 minute walk or a shuttle ride. Read full review
- 103LucenaSanta Rosa, CaliforniaTrip Type:CouplesVacationTuesday, 23rd August 2016It is a beautiful ride I. The English countryside traffic for a short period as people drive by! Interpretive room and gift store apart from Stonehedge you take a free shuttle for about five minutes Read full review
- YsanneBBrighton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA missed opportunity? and OverpricedTuesday, 23rd August 2016Having been to Stonehenge many times over the years this was the first visit since the new arrangements came into force. Stonehenge itself remains impressive and if you want to get away from the... Read full review