Situated just 2 miles north of where the city now stand the massive Iron Age Hill fort of Old Sarum was re-used by the Romans, Saxons and Normans before growing into one of the most flourishing settlements in medieval England.
See the ruins of a castle, cathedral and royal palace and enjoy views of the surrounding countryside.
The gift shop has a delicious range of ice-creams and exclusive English Heritage gifts and produce.
Wooden bows and arrows are also on sale to help the kids imagine what life was like all those years ago!
A great day out for families, heritage lovers and walkers.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Gift Aid||£4.70|
|Adult non Gift Aid||£4.20 per ticket|
|Child Gift Aid||£2.80|
|Child non Gift Aid||£2.50 per ticket|
|Concession Gift Aid||£4.20|
|Concession non Gift Aid||£3.80 per ticket|
|Family Gift Aid||£12.20|
|Family non Gift Aid||£11.70|
Please add the following copy into the Note section - The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|2017 (25 Mar 2017 - 30 Sept 2017)|
|2017 (1 Oct 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|2016/2018 (1 Nov 2017 - 31 Mar 2018)|
* Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Groups Accepted
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 150
- Min group size - 11
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good430
- sharon442Wiltshire, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFantastic views of Salisbury and surrounding areaTuesday, 25th April 2017We stayed on the caravan and camping club site for the second time and had another good experience. Lots of dogs walks around Hudson's field and Old Sarum, perfect for wearing out dogs and children... Read full review
- 6LizK5Birmingham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely area and views!Sunday, 23rd April 2017We camped nearby so walked up to the outer circle of Old Sarum. It's steep for a bit but not too bad. We followed the outer path around, I thought the views from there were good, but when you get... Read full review
- GillyTHarlow, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat historical site that welcomes familiesFriday, 21st April 2017We visited here on Easter Saturday and worried as the car park was almost full. Need not have worried as it's a large site with plenty of space. They had an Easter competition on for children which... Read full review