Bowood House and Gardens opens between April and November every year and is open 7 days a week.
Bowood House is the magnificent family home of the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne.
Begun c1720, Bowood House was purchased by the 2nd Earl of Shelburne in 1754 and completed soon afterwards.
Interesting rooms include Robert Adam's Library, the Laboratory where Dr Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen in 1774, and the Chapel that is still used for family services.
On display within the numerous Exhibition Rooms are remarkable collections of family heirlooms and works of art built up over 250 years.
These include Georgian costumes; Victoriana, Indiana and superb collections of watercolours, miniatures and jewellery.
The pleasure grounds cover approximately 100 acres, with the formal gardens and terraces immediately around the house.
Bowood House itself is set in the middle of Capability' Brown's grade 1 park.
The upper terrace was designed by Sir Robert Smirk in 1818, the lower terrace by George Kennedy in 1851.
The pleasure grounds, which form part of Capability Brown's grand design of 1760, contain an outstanding collection of trees and shrubs, all of which are labelled and can be identified with the aid of a tree guide.
There are, within the collection, nine champions.
The original plantings date back to the 1760's.
Bowood's separate Rhododendron Walks which are open late April to mid-June, depending on the flowering season are located almost 2 miles from the house.
The third Marquis of Lansdowne began developing this woodland area in 1854.
Almost thirty original hardy hybrid rhododendrons, which were thought to be extinct, have recently been discovered within the collection making it one of the earliest rhododendron gardens in the country.
Families love the amazing Adventure Playground, one of the most exciting playgrounds in Wiltshire.
Bowood House boasts a life-size pirate ship, aerial rope walks, giant slides and the famous Space Dive.
There is an indoor Soft Play Palace for younger children and birthday party packages are available.
The parkland provides ample space for games and picnics, the perfect location for children to burn off their endless energy.
Tractor Ted's Little Farm:
Tractor Ted's Little Farm offers lots to enjoy inside and out for younger children.
Meet friendly farm animals and handle rabbits, guinea pigs and see chicks hatching.
Outside children will enjoy the tractor track and diggers in the ball pit.
A calendar of events operates throughout the season with chances to see life size farm machinery and children's activities throughout the school holidays.
See website for details.
The Treehouse is located at the entrance to the grounds, serving a selection of freshly made meals or delicious homemade cakes; Bowood provides an ideal family day out!
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|House and Grounds Adult (13 years and above)||£12.00 per ticket|
|House and Grounds Children Age 2 - 4||£7.00 per ticket|
|House and Grounds Concession||£10.00 per ticket|
|House and Grounds Family (1 adult & 3 children or 2 adults & 2 children)||£36.00 per ticket|
|House and Grounds Juniors Age 5 -12||£9.00 per ticket|
|Woodland Garden Adult||£7.50 per ticket|
|Woodland Garden Children||Free|
|Woodland Garden Concession||£6.75 per ticket|
2016 Season Tickets are available for purchase, more information on the website.
Group rates (for groups of 20 or more) and season tickets are available. All visitors with disabilities and their carers/assistants are charged at half the normal admission rate.
Tickets allow access to Bowood House and Gardens, Adventure Playground and Tractor Ted’s Little Farm. The Rhododendron Walks will re-open in April 2016.
|2016 (25 Mar 2016 - 31 Oct 2016)|
* Please check with Bowood for any additional opening information and exact dates for Woodland Gardens. Last admission 5pm. House and Gardens closed for winter from 31 October.
- Childrens Play Area
- No Dogs
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking preferable if catering is required.
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Licensed restaurant, for 80 max, coffee shop for 70 plus. Ice cream kiosk at certain times. (weekends and school holidays.)
- Picnic Site
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 999
- Min group size - 20
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Event venue
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Arabic printed material
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
Map & Directions
Close to J17 of the M4. Nearest major road is A4.
Between Chippenham and Calne turn into village of Derry Hill.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Chippenham station.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good64
- Bosslady2000Trip Type:Friends getawayBeautifulTuesday, 21st June 2016Visited today with a friend. What a beautiful place. The house & gardens are stunning. The rose garden was an absolute delight to behold. Very good value for money. We spent a good 3 hours there. You... Read full review
- hookydaveBanbury, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA great day outMonday, 20th June 2016The Woodland Rhododendron walks, including the wonderful Jubilee Garden (only open from April to early June) are certainly worth a visit in their own right. However, it is the 2000 acre Landscape... Read full review
- grumpypete2014Paignton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesPlenty to enjoy for all agesWednesday, 8th June 2016Nice house, and glorious "Capability" Brown landscaping with play areas for the younger ones to let off steam. Would have given it 5 stars if more of the lake and grounds been accessible to the... Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous Garden of the Year Award 2014