STEAM - Museum of the Great Western Railway, is housed in a beautifully restored Grade II railway building in the heart of the former Swindon railway works, located right next to the Swindon Designer Outlet and close to Swindon Town Centre.
Visitors of all ages get to climb aboard famous locomotives, have a go at changing the signals, be an engine driver and even walk underneath the 80 ton Caerphilly Castle.
STEAM is open daily between 10:00 – 17:00 (spring and summer) and 11:00 – 16:00 (winter).
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|2 adults + 1 child||£20.00 per ticket|
|2 adults + 2 children||£25.00 per ticket|
|2 adults + 3 children||£30.00 per ticket|
|3-16yrs||£6.00 per ticket|
|Adult||£8.00 per ticket|
|Children under 3yrs||Free|
|Senior Citizen||£6.50 per ticket|
|Student||£6.00 per ticket|
Special discounts apply for groups of 15 or more.
Free admission to carers or helpers assisting a disabled visitor.
Season Ticket Prices
Children 3 -16 yrs: £12 each
Family (2 adults, 1 child): £30
Family (2 adults, 2 children): £35
Family (2 adults, 3 children): £40
|Open All Year|
|2015 (1 Jan 2015 - 31 Dec 2015)|
* STEAM is open every day of the week throughout the year (except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day).
- Accept Children over 7
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted - .
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Automatic entrance doors. Low-level counters at the Ticket Desk, Shop and Cafe. Personal guiding scheme for unaccompanied disabled visitors (booking required). Free loan of wheelchair or motorised scooter.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop system at the Ticket Desk. Subtitled video
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Large print info panels, displays to touch, experience sounds,smells. Easy to read signage.
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Guide, hearing and companion dogs welcome (dog bowls available)
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - Free parking for disabled visitors is available within 25 metres of STEAM. Disabled visitors can be dropped off outside the museum entrance. There is level access to STEAM from all car parking areas. Please phone for details.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Fully accessible toilets, fitted with call point
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- Parking (charge) - No charge (show STEAM ticket)
- American Express accepted
- Approx length of visit - 02:30
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 200
- Min group size - 15
- Special group rates
- Switch accepted
- Visa accepted
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Follow the brown tourist signs for the Outlet Centre, Great Western Heritage Area, or the ‘M’ for STEAM Museum sign.
STEAM can be found to the left of the Food Court entrance of the Outlet Centre.
STEAM can also be reached through the ‘at home’ section of the Outlet Centre.
Retain your admission ticket and claim free parking at the Outlet Centre car park.
Details are available when visitors buy their admission tickets at STEAM.
Public Transport Directions
Walking from Swindon railway station – turn right outside the station and walk along Station Road towards Emlyn Square, staying on the right-hand side of the road.
Walk through the second underpass on the right (GWR tunnel) and up the ramp at the end.
Then follow the signposts to STEAM.
This is a 10 to 15 minute walk.
- STEAM - Museum of Great Western Railway