Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.20|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.10|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£10.50|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£44.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£40.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£17.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£8.80|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£16.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£8.00|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
Coach Parking £10
Car Parking £4
|Garden, Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|House Main season 2017 (25 Feb 2017 - 12 Nov 2017)|
|King Alfred's Tower (4 Mar 2017 - 29 Oct 2017)|
|The Christmas House - selected rooms open (25 Nov 2017 - 22 Dec 2017)|
* Everything closed 25 December.
King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays and School Holidays.
For specific opening times, please visit Stourhead's website.
- Plant Sales
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good360
- SandinWillDorking, United KingdomLovely place to visitTuesday, 28th March 2017Went on a wet afternoon on the way to Frome. By the time we had completed the house the sun was out and the gardens are truly wonderful. Read full review
- 1PompeyPortsmouth, Hampshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSuper PlaceMonday, 27th March 2017Stourhead is a beautiful house and garden complex. I have only been here in the Spring but believe it has something to offer whatever time of the year you visit, it is especially picturesque in the... Read full review
- Tracy GAndover, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovely GardensMonday, 27th March 2017Visited Stourhead House & Gardens on Mothering Sunday. Have been once before a long time ago. Lovely gardens to walk around with interesting follys. Car park staff were very helpful, we're National... Read full review