Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.00|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.00|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£9.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£39.20|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£35.30|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£15.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£7.90|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£14.10|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£7.10|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
|House (27 Feb 2016 - 23 Oct 2016)|
|King Alfred's Tower (5 Mar 2016 - 30 Oct 2016)|
|Garden, shop and restaurant * (1 Apr 2016 - 31 Oct 2016)|
|House (24 Oct 2016 - 13 Nov 2016)|
|Garden, shop and restaurant * (1 Nov 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|House ** (26 Nov 2016 - 21 Dec 2016)|
|Garden, shop and restaurant * (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Mar 2017)|
|Entrance Hall (9 Jan 2017 - 7 Feb 2017)|
|Entrance Hall (13 Feb 2017 - 21 Feb 2017)|
* * Shop opens at 10am ** 'The Christmas House': selected rooms open and decorated. Everything closed 25 December. King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Plant Sales
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good311
- CastledrinkersSt Ives, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayLovely gardensWednesday, 24th August 2016This is owned by the National Trust. Luckily we are members but otherwise a bit expensive to get in as well as paying on top for car parking. House hasn't much to offer. Interesting walking in well... Read full review
- Terrice JTrip Type:CouplesBest childhood walk!Wednesday, 24th August 2016I go here regularly as it is close to my house. Every time I go I am not disappointed by the beautiful views around the lake. I take my dog when they are allowed and he loves it! it is one of the... Read full review
- Quicksilver75Warminster, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayGreat family day outTuesday, 23rd August 2016It's always a really good day out, when we go to Stourhead house & gardens. There are some really amazing walks & some really great photo opportunities. Read full review