Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.00|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.00|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£9.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£39.20|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£35.30|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£15.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£7.90|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£14.10|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£7.10|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
|Open All Year|
|House (27 Feb 2016 - 23 Oct 2016)|
|King Alfred's Tower (5 Mar 2016 - 30 Oct 2016)|
|Garden, shop and restaurant * (1 Apr 2016 - 31 Oct 2016)|
|House (24 Oct 2016 - 13 Nov 2016)|
|Garden, shop and restaurant * (1 Nov 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|House ** (26 Nov 2016 - 21 Dec 2016)|
|Garden, shop and restaurant * (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Mar 2017)|
|Entrance Hall (9 Jan 2017 - 7 Feb 2017)|
|Entrance Hall (13 Feb 2017 - 21 Feb 2017)|
* * Shop opens at 10am ** 'The Christmas House': selected rooms open and decorated. Everything closed 25 December. King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Plant Sales
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good282
- ZJGHWells, SomersetTrip Type:CouplesAlways beautifulSunday, 22nd May 2016A favourite haunt of ours for many years, we had a day out to celebrate our anniversary and it gradually dawned on us that this might actually have been our first visit back in twenty years! So we... Read full review
- fox07Bristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesTake a walk back in time and learn some history and enjoy the viewSunday, 22nd May 2016The gardens are wonderful, stunning view. The staff are wonderful, very helpful. Take time to enjoy the whole place and allow your eyes and ears take in the memories. Make time for a visit to the pub... Read full review
- happyfarmersTrip Type:FamilyLunch on a sundaySunday, 22nd May 2016We come here quite a lot as its a very special place for us and we often eat at the National Trust cafe at the top by the car park. No mistaking the food is very tasty, drinks hot and plenty of room... Read full review