Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Garden or House Adult Ticket||£8.50|
|Garden or House Child Ticket||£4.70|
|Garden or House Family Ticket||£20.30|
|House & Garden Adult Ticket||£14.20|
|House & Garden Child Ticket||£7.10|
|House & Garden Family Ticket||£32.90 per ticket|
|King Alfred's Tower Adult Ticket||£3.50|
|King Alfred's Tower Child Ticket||£1.70|
|King Alfred's Tower Family Ticket||£7.60|
GIFT AID: The above prices (excluding Group Rates) include a voluntary 10% donation. Visitors can choose to pay the standard admission prices which are displayed at the property and at www.nationaltrust.org.uk. National Trust members free.
|Open All Year|
|Stourhead House (16 Mar 2015 - 3 Nov 2015)|
|House (15 Oct 2015 - 4 Nov 2015)|
|Stourhead House (9 Nov 2015 - 24 Nov 2015)|
|Stourhead House (30 Nov 2015 - 22 Dec 2015)|
|Stourhead House (5 Jan 2016 - 10 Feb 2016)|
|Stourhead House (16 Feb 2016 - 10 Mar 2016)|
|Garden (1 Oct 2015 - 31 Mar 2016)|
|Garden (1 Apr 2016 - 30 Sept 2016)|
* Stourhead is closed on Christmas Day. Restaurant, shop and farm shop hours vary according to season.
- Plant Sales
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- Open all year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.