The Red Lion Freehouse and Troutbeck Guest House at East Chisenbury have gained quite a reputation for providing the best of Wiltshire's food, drink and accommodation in a truly beautiful setting.
Easy Chisenbury is a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty complete with the River Avon (Site of Special Scientific Interest) running straight through the tiny village, and is home to stunning countryside views, Stonehenge, fly fishing and excellent walking routes. The thatched pub now holds a Michelin star for its outstanding food, but has never changed its relaxed, distinctively 'pubby' atmosphere.
If there were any improvements to be made to the Red Lion experience, it could only be the addition of a cozy, classy guest house to go back to after a lovely meal. In December of 2012 the Red Lion opened a newly converted bungalow to its loyal following- a gorgeously polished accommodation sat right on the bank of the River Avon. Each of the 5 unique rooms has been individually decorated, very carefully outfitted with all the best comforts & amenities and boasts uninterrupted countryside views from a private deck; it's also worth knowing that the owners have taken a serious approach to sustainability and environmental awareness with this project to preserve the surrounding beauty. The service is also second-to-none, as they are well-equipped with things to do, information, outdoor gear and are happy to help organise anything you need to have an active sight-seeing trip or a lazy weekend away. Most importantly, they love to see their guests having a bit of FUN.
All five guest rooms are en-suite, spacious, double occupancy rooms (including one twin). We allow dogs into the Manser Room only and must be arranged ahead of time. You can find all of the following goodies in your room:
• Specially sized, luxury Somnus Beds
• Lots of Egyptian Cotton linen and big, cozy bathrobes & towels
• Organic, hand-made toiletries by the lovely, local Quintessentially English
• Bang & Olufsen entertainment systems. Need we say more?
• Complimentary Wireless Access, because it seems no one can survive without it these days
• Thoughtfully stocked mini-bar, including some of our own home-made liquids, local brews & a selection of the best spirits and mixers we can find
• The expected ‘hot drink’ station with unexpected ingredients. Coffee Bay coffee & Tea forté
• Private outside deck with views of the river, garden and the countryside beyond
• On arrival you will find home-made biscuits, our own spiced peanuts and Tyrrell’s crisps in the room, as well as complimentary water, orange juice, milk and lime cordial.
The Angelsea, Davenport & Chamberlain Room share the entrance hall, while The Benjamin Suite has its own entrance with small hallway for muddy boots. The Manser Room also has its own entrance and is tastefully suitable for disabled guests.
Guy and Brittany Manning have created the perfect recipe for a relaxing stay - exceptional food, sumptuous accommodation and the beautiful setting of the rambling hills of the Wiltshire countryside.
This accommodation does not have any available rooms
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|A 'not-so-standard' Double Room||from £160.00 to £195.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Also available as:|
|The Benjamin Suite||from £195.00 to £245.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|The Chamberlain Room||from £175.00 to £225.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*Dinner, bed and breakfast rate available Sunday-Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).
|2020 (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
- Room service - Yes, by previous arrangement
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
- Serves Local Food
Children & Infants
- Accept children all ages
- Food/bottle warming available
- Available for wedding receptions - Can hold wedding reception for up to 100 in the marquee outside on the lawn
- Dogs Accepted
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Each room has private deck with table and chairs overlooking the garden, river Avon at the foot of it and countryside beyond
- Pets accepted - Only in Manser Room
- Real log/coal fires - In the restaurant dining room
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- American Express accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Colour television in all bedrooms - Bang & Olufsen TV with radio and connection to own i-pod
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good3
- angelloutandaboutHampshire, United KingdomAmazingFriday, 8th November 2019I can be very fussy but the Troutbeck was superb. Beautifully comfortable bed with white crisp linen bedding , the pillows were fabulous, just a wonderful stay. All the latest accessories on hand and... Read full review
- Robert WWorthing, United KingdomWonderful bedsFriday, 24th January 2020Lovely beds with high quality bedding, gives a wonderful night's sleep Bathroom top quality Views over the river Avon and could sit and watch the wildlife all day. Would recommend to friends and... Read full review
- Paul CAbsolutely perfect!!!Monday, 24th February 2020Stayed in the Benjamin room for a special treat. The room was stunning, the bed was so comfortable we didn't want to get up in the morning. The bath and shower were both excellent and what an amazing... Read full review
- 5 Visit England Stars
- 5 AA Gold Stars
- AA Awards AA - 3 Rosettes 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Michelin - 1 Star 2012
- Visit England Breakfast Award 2013
- Regional and Miscellaneous Sawday's Best pub with rooms award 2013/14 2013