Restored manor-house, c1480, next to contemporary small parish church. Great hall, screen and contemporary mural portrait of the builder. The gardens were designed by Alfred Parsons, early in the 20thC to complement the manor. The borders and roses have been replanted, there is a milk pond or upper moat and spring fed fishpond lower moat, and the manor is set between farm buildings and stables to the west, and milk cottages to the east.
|2021 (2 Apr 2021 - 29 Oct 2021)|
* All our houses, gardens, parks, toilets, cafes and shops are now closed to further restrict the spread of coronavirus.
Manor admission by 45-minute guided tour (places limited, not bookable) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 11am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm; Sunday at 2pm, 3pm and 4pm.
Garden admission Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 11am – 5pm; Sunday 2pm – 5pm.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Braille Guidebooks
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Not in house.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Max group size - 30
- Min group size - 15
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Fri and Sat are best. Not Sun.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is M4. From M5 jct 17 go south to Melksham on A350, then fork right on B3107 (signed to Bradford-on-Avon), first turn right to Broughton Gifford, at common follow sign for Atworth, then out of village 1st left: 1 mile to Great Chalfield.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest stations are at Bradford on Avon or Trowbridge, 3 and 4.5 miles. From Bradford on Avon take bus or taxi on B3107 to Holt. Follow signposts by car, or otherwise footpaths 0.75 mile leading from village hall.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good70
- Milesandmiles2Wiltshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesStunning gardensSunday, 5th July 2020The house is currently closed due to Covid 19 but gardens are open and you have to book in advance. Had never been before and was genuinely surprised at how beautiful the gardens are. One way system... Read full review
- Piggie64Saltford, United KingdomBeautiful gardensThursday, 27th August 2020We had a lovely afternoon here last Sunday. The house is currently closed due to Covid restrictions, but the gardens are stunning! Not huge but there is enough to see, including walking round a small... Read full review
- nicolag761Hemel Hempstead, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely hour stopSaturday, 17th October 2020We were having a few nights break in the area so booked this a few days ahead but would have prob been fine as walk in. Only the gardens are open and there’s no tea room but its v pretty here and my... Read full review