*All our houses, gardens, parks, toilets, cafes and shops are now closed to further restrict the spread of coronavirus.*
Restored manor-house, c1480, next to contemporary small parish church. Great hall, screen and contemporary mural portrait of the builder. The gardens were designed by Alfred Parsons, early in the 20thC to complement the manor. The borders and roses have been replanted, there is a milk pond or upper moat and spring fed fishpond lower moat, and the manor is set between farm buildings and stables to the west, and milk cottages to the east.
|2020 (2 Apr 2020 - 29 Oct 2020)|
* All our houses, gardens, parks, toilets, cafes and shops are now closed to further restrict the spread of coronavirus.
Manor admission by 45-minute guided tour (places limited, not bookable) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 11am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm; Sunday at 2pm, 3pm and 4pm.
Garden admission Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 11am – 5pm; Sunday 2pm – 5pm.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Braille Guidebooks
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Not in house.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Max group size - 30
- Min group size - 15
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Fri and Sat are best. Not Sun.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is M4. From M5 jct 17 go south to Melksham on A350, then fork right on B3107 (signed to Bradford-on-Avon), first turn right to Broughton Gifford, at common follow sign for Atworth, then out of village 1st left: 1 mile to Great Chalfield.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest stations are at Bradford on Avon or Trowbridge, 3 and 4.5 miles. From Bradford on Avon take bus or taxi on B3107 to Holt. Follow signposts by car, or otherwise footpaths 0.75 mile leading from village hall.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good70
- NewportWelshmarkNewportStill very niceThursday, 12th September 2019Recently been on our 2nd visit to this great Manor. The story behind this manor is fantastic, told again by two fantastic guides ( Sunday 8th September ). The front door information and feel is... Read full review
- BunhunterAfternoon visitWednesday, 9th October 2019We were taken around the manor in a pre-booked group by an excellent guide and as a bonus there was refreshments laid out for us afterwards. Do explore the beautifully kept gardens and visit the... Read full review
- MaureenHibbMelksham, United KingdomHistory, beauty and movie culture aboundFriday, 6th March 2020This is our favourite NT small manor estate in North Wiltshire. It is worth taking one of the very interesting tours which are informative and informal. The rooms that are open to the public are... Read full review