Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.20|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.10|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£10.50|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£44.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£40.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£17.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£8.80|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£16.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£8.00|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
Coach Parking £10
Car Parking £4
|Garden, Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
|House Main season 2022 (25 Feb 2022 - 12 Nov 2022)|
|King Alfred's Tower (4 Mar 2022 - 29 Oct 2022)|
|The Christmas House - selected rooms open (25 Nov 2022 - 22 Dec 2022)|
Everything closed 25 December.
King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays and School Holidays.
For specific opening times, please visit Stourhead's website.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good592
- wirojuPatchway, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWonderful festive experienceWednesday, 29th December 2021Wonderful Christmas light trail at Stourhead! We thoroughly enjoyed the content along the way and the accompanying music. The trail took us about 75 minutes and had a large range of food items... Read full review
- Explore826007Trip Type:FamilyPleasant but expensiveThursday, 30th December 2021The lights were good but not amazing & as NT full member with 3 children(2x18 year olds who are also paid members ) £100 quid is far to steep for the experience. That coupled with mobile food... Read full review
- Albia-NewtonWeston super Mare, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFantastic winter lightsSaturday, 1st January 2022Brilliant Christmas lights. Excellent display with an enjoyable trail round the landscaped grounds and lake. A great experience Read full review