Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
New for 2023
Just in time for October half term, the National Trust team at Stourhead has opened a new outdoor play area for families to enjoy during visits to this world-famous landscape garden. There are plenty of adventures to be had at the new natural play area, which includes a slide, small climbing walls, balance beams, monkey bars, a rope ladder and a large basket swing.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.20|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.10|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£10.50|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£44.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£40.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£17.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£8.80|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£16.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£8.00 per ticket|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
Coach Parking £10
Car Parking £4
|Garden, Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|The Christmas House - selected rooms open (25 Nov 2023 - 22 Dec 2023)|
|House Main season 2024 (25 Feb 2024 - 12 Nov 2024)|
|King Alfred's Tower (4 Mar 2024 - 29 Oct 2024)|
Everything closed 25 December.
King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays and School Holidays.
For specific opening times, please visit Stourhead's website.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Dogs-Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good613
- queen48FarehamA good use of my NT membership card todayFriday, 27th October 2023Great place to spend a day. Lovely parkland and scenery. House was alright, although rooms were rather dark. Only see a few rooms, limited access really. Lovely staff. We had a map with significant... Read full review
- Y5513TPcarolinebTrip Type:CouplesA definite must visit!Tuesday, 31st October 2023The house is lovely but the gardens are the real attraction here. Stunningly beautiful, interesting out buildings and pleasant walks. Good facilities/refreshments Well worth a visit. Read full review
- Adventure13924113917Trip Type:CouplesA crisp autumn escapadeSaturday, 25th November 2023We decided to motor down to Stourhead on a glorious sunny and frosty Saturday at the end of November. The grounds were beautifully landscaped by Capability Brown in the eighteenth century and are... Read full review