Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.20|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.10|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£10.50|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£44.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£40.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£17.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£8.80|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£16.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£8.00|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
Coach Parking £10
Car Parking £4
|Garden, Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|House Main season 2021 (25 Feb 2021 - 12 Nov 2021)|
|King Alfred's Tower (4 Mar 2021 - 29 Oct 2021)|
|The Christmas House - selected rooms open (25 Nov 2021 - 22 Dec 2021)|
Everything closed 25 December.
King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays and School Holidays.
For specific opening times, please visit Stourhead's website.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Min group size - fifteen
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good589
- Juleswithhaton34Trip Type:FamilyNot goodSaturday, 4th September 2021Been to a number of National Trust Properties but this is one of the worse for accessibility!!! Stourhead was on my to do list ! So bought my daughter and grandkids along with myself in my wheelchair... Read full review
- VictoriaElizabethKLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelHouse and garden visitSunday, 5th September 2021Wonderful visit with very friendly and accommodating staff. The house was a gem to wander through and has some fantastic art and artefacts on display. Read full review
- 101cornwallUnited KingdomAmazing groundsSunday, 12th September 2021Wish we had done a guided walk but wasn’t informed about them when we arrived. Lovely trees etc would liked to have known the names of them could have done with a few more name tags etc. The grounds... Read full review