*The garden and car park at Stourhead will reopen from Monday 8 June. You will need to book your visit in advance, and will be turned away if you arrive without a booking. *
**Find Space, Stay Safe. If you would like to visit any of Wiltshire's outdoor spaces or our timeless countryside, please read our advice on visiting Wiltshire safely and responsibly before you travel.**
Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.20|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.10|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£10.50|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£44.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£40.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£17.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£8.80|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£16.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£8.00|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
Coach Parking £10
Car Parking £4
|Garden, Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|House Main season 2020 (25 Feb 2020 - 12 Nov 2020)|
|King Alfred's Tower (4 Mar 2020 - 29 Oct 2020)|
|The Christmas House - selected rooms open (25 Nov 2020 - 22 Dec 2020)|
Everything closed 25 December.
King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays and School Holidays.
For specific opening times, please visit Stourhead's website.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - fifteen
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2020
- Very Good574
- catrionac506Poole, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful and relaxingWednesday, 12th August 2020Beautiful well maintained gardens set around a lake. It was lovely and shady under the large trees, it was very hot the day we visited. We sat and watched the swans, moorehens and ducks swimming... Read full review
- Richard PReading, United Kingdomone of our favouritesWednesday, 12th August 2020Visited several times, usually staying overnight . All the precautions were very clear l with one way systems working well and never once felt " crowded". Grounds as always in very good condition Read full review
- 780HelenANewport, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFabulousFriday, 14th August 2020We were on holiday near by and booked tickets to visit. We are NT members. We loved it so much we booked again for the following week. At no point did we feel overcrowded as some others have said... Read full review