*The garden and car park at Stourhead will reopen from Monday 8 June. You will need to book your visit in advance, and will be turned away if you arrive without a booking. *
**Find Space, Stay Safe. If you would like to visit any of Wiltshire's outdoor spaces or our timeless countryside, please read our advice on visiting Wiltshire safely and responsibly before you travel.**
Stourhead Estate on the Wiltshire-Somerset border is the perfect day out for everyone.
A breathtaking 18th century landscape garden with lakeside walks, grottoes and classical temples is only the beginning.
You can also visit Stourhead House, a Palladian mansion with a fantastic regency library and beautiful art collection.
Then why not climb the 205 steps to the top of King Alfred's Tower, an amazing red-brick folly, for vistas over Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire, or explore one of our Iron Age hill forts.
We also have a large National Trust shop and restaurant, as well as an art gallery, pub, ice cream parlour and farm shop for you to enjoy.
Please call or visit our website for a full events programme, information about group visits and access for visitors with disabilities.
During February and March some of the showrooms will be open to show conservation work.
Some of the showrooms open during December will be decorated for Christmas.
Please call for other House opening times throughout the year, and for King Alfred's Tower opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|King Alfred's Tower - Adult||£4.20|
|King Alfred's Tower - Child||£2.10|
|King Alfred's Tower - Family (2 adults)||£10.50|
|Stourhead day ticket - 2 adults - Gift Aid Family||£44.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - family 2 adults - Standard||£40.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Adult||£17.60|
|Stourhead day ticket - Gift Aid Child||£8.80|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Adult||£16.00|
|Stourhead day ticket - Standard Child||£8.00|
National Trust members free.
Group rates are available.
Coach Parking £10
Car Parking £4
|Garden, Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|House Main season 2020 (25 Feb 2020 - 12 Nov 2020)|
|King Alfred's Tower (4 Mar 2020 - 29 Oct 2020)|
|The Christmas House - selected rooms open (25 Nov 2020 - 22 Dec 2020)|
Everything closed 25 December.
King Alfred's Tower also open on Bank Holidays and School Holidays.
For specific opening times, please visit Stourhead's website.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sympathetic hearing scheme
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tour guide of the house; must be booked on (01747) 842020.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - Fully accessible toilets, shop and restaurant.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Restaurant with a maximum capacity of 250.
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted - under close control on wider estate all year. 1 Nov - end Feb in landscape garden.
- Event Venue
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Three to six hours
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - House open March - October
- Max group size - By arrangement with Stourhead
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £2. Free to NT members
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - For coach parties
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - fifteen
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A303. Off B3092 at Stourton, 3 miles north west of Mere (A303), 8 miles south of Frome (A361).
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is at Gillingham (Dorset), approximately 7 miles away.
Bus services are infrequent - call 01747 861222 for details.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good578
- Alan DCholderton, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAutumn is spectacularTuesday, 20th October 2020The gardens are fantastic at any Time of year but the autumn is absolutely amazing, the greens, golds an reds make these gardens truly magical. Read full review
- Jeff ABracknell, United KingdomTrip Type:Couples“Autumn Magic Colours”Friday, 23rd October 2020We pre-booked as is the requirement in these Covid-19 times. As others have commented dogs are only allowed after 2pm. The grounds around the lake in late October are bursting with the strong colours... Read full review
- AnnieF1965Bristol, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilySpectacular Autumn walkSaturday, 24th October 2020Stourhead never fails to impress, whatever time of year you visit, but Autumn is stunning here. The acers on the lakeside are in full colour (23rd Oct) and most other trees are golden yellows and... Read full review