Sarum College offers guest accommodation within Salisbury’s historic Cathedral Close, which itself is in the centre of a beautiful medieval city.
Situated in Grade I Listed buildings, the oldest part of the college dates from 1677 and is attributed to Sir Christopher Wren.
Sarum is a working further education college and conference venue. Many students choose to stay at Sarum while attending their courses but our rooms and hospitality are open to all.
Most guest bedrooms are modern, newly refurbished en-suites and enjoy uninterrupted views of the Cathedral and the Close. Single, double and twin rooms are all available with tea and coffee-making facilities. The lift gives access to all the floors, and there is a common room with easy chairs and licensed bar for guest use.
The Cathedral Close is in central Salisbury, a five-minute walk from the High Street with shops, cafes and a twice-weekly market. In addition to the College’s own art programme, there are excellent cultural venues nearby, including the Salisbury Playhouse, City Hall, Odeon cinema, as well as award-winning museums, Arundells (the home of Sir Edward Heath) and Mompesson House, a fine National Trust property. The World Heritage Site of Stonehenge is a short bus journey away.
Sarum is also ideally suited to enjoy Salisbury’s nightlife, with dozens of restaurants, pubs and bars just a few minutes’ walk away.
|2021 (1 Feb 2021 - 23 Dec 2021)|
Map & Directions
The High Street entrance is the only way to drive into The Close. Satellite navigation users are warned that these often direct you to St. Ann’s gate, which is for pedestrians only. Some systems are more effective when “North Walk” is entered as the street name rather than “The Close”.From St Paul’s RoundaboutLeave the roundabout at the exit after St Paul’s Church signposted for the railway station. Go under the railway bridge and turn sharp right at the mini-roundabout towards the station. Turn left at the next mini-roundabout a the station entrance. Follow Mill Road, Crane Bridge Road and Crane Street to the High Street traffic lights. Turn right into High Street and once inside The Close turn left into North Walk. Sarum College is on your left opposite Bishop’s Walk.From New Road RoundaboutTake the City exit from the roundabout and follow Exeter Street into St John Street, keeping in the left-hand lane. Opposite the White Hart Hotel, turn left at the traffic lights into New Street. Turn left at the High Street traffic lights into the Close, then turn left into North Walk. Sarum College is on your left opposite Bishop’s Walk.Car parking at Sarum College is very limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis with one space reserved for disabled parking. Alternatively there is a small car park within the cathedral close (£6), along with others in the city centre.
Public Transport Directions
Sarum College is in the centre of Salisbury and is within a 15-minute walk of both the rail and bus stations. There is a bike shed for guests located at the rear of the college.Public transport links to Salisbury are excellent and rail and bus stations are very close to Sarum College. The train services to and from Salisbury are frequent with direct trains to London, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter. The city also has an extensive bus network with five park & ride sites located at all the main routes into Salisbury.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good50
- nmeadwyerStephenville, CanadaExperiencing a Bit of HistoryTuesday, 8th October 2019Amazingly kept old edifice! Most of the structure is maintained in character. The doors to the rooms are the heavy old wood. The room ceilings are low. Even the room key speaks of its... Read full review
- duncan329Winchester, United KingdomWonderful placeThursday, 24th October 2019I have just stayed in Sarum College B&B accommodation for a 5 day retreat. The building is no doubt quirky and the rooms basic but that is all you really need. The staff were incredibly helpful... Read full review
- 64ellierSpotlessly clean, comfy beds, helpful staff, fantastic locationSunday, 9th August 2020We booked our stay very last minute without doing any research and weren’t sure what to expect. The college is beautiful, so quirky, peaceful and full of character. The location is perfect, and... Read full review
- Visit Wiltshire Approved Accommodation Scheme
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021