The Old Ale and Coffee house is situated in the heart of the fine City of Salisbury. Being only fifty yards from the entrance to the Cathedral Close and right by the shops and offices on the High Street this is a perfect location for a tour of the City and a great spot to soak up the life of this vibrant community. The pub itself is a modern interpretation of a traditional ale house …. It’s a fresh looking pub with a fresh modern offer.
Inside we have plenty of seating on mixed and matched tables, a fireside sofa and even a couple of barbers chairs. The walls are covered with original interpretations of classic Salisbury art and photography combined with our own images of this most beautiful City.
Outside the garden is an oasis for the lively folk of Salisbury with three garden sheds that are bookable for up to a dozen folk, an outside bar, deckchairs, garden games and the occasional vinyl session to while away the hours.
Our food is all cooked from fresh and the menu has a brunch feel for those who enjoy dressed crab, eggs benedict or sandwiches. For those looking for a more filling occasion the Hampshire Pig chop, duck egg and black pudding is a sensation whilst more traditional battered haddock and chips or our Longhorn burger always fill a hole. We have rotating fish dishes based on the best local catches.
The Macaroni cheese, Quinoa, feta, candied beetroot salad with kale pesto or the classic Caesar with chalk stream trout are both delicious and healthy.
The kitchen is open for lunch and dinner in the week and all day of Saturdays for brunch and from midday until 6pm on Sundays for a fantastic Sunday roast.
To wash this all down we have a fine collection of standard and craft beers including Laganitas, Wild Beer Bibble, Sagres, Trumans Pale Ale and Heineken ably supported by 20 bottled craft beers, 22 Gins and a well-chosen wine list of 25 bins.
But all of this is just chatter unless we can deliver it with a smile, in a beautiful pub and to suit you …. That is always our aim.
And if you needed an excuse to come back we have a quiz every Tuesday, steak night on a Friday, rugby in the garden, a wine festival, Lego building competitions, Christmas parties, Sunday night vinyl session and of course ring the Bear!
We can do private dinners, drinks, buffets for four to eighty four … inside or out. Just challenge us we are up for it …
Children & Infants
- Children's menu
- Available for wedding receptions
- Dog Friendly
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Groups accepted
- Pets accepted
- In town/city centre
- All major credit cards accepted
- American Express accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
If you are in Salisbury for a whole day you may choose the park and ride which gives great access into the centre. If you want to drive in, the easiest parking is either the open air car park on Cranebridge Road (SP2 7TD) or the Old George Mall multi story on New Street (SP1 2PH). But in reality we are very close to all the central car parks such as The Maltings.
Public Transport Directions
From the train or bus station head down Fisherton Street, turn left into the High Street towards the Cathedral Close. Forty yards before the arched entrance turn right on Crane Street and we are right there.
From the Market Place follow take Silver Street of Canal Street and turn left into the High Street. Again turn right into Crane Street
From the Cathedral head towards the High Street and the station. Once through the arch at the first cross roads, turn left onto Crane Street and we are just there.
We’re quite a way from Southampton airport!
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2020
- Very Good90
- helenmL9318OSSunday lunchTuesday, 1st September 2020I booked online and requested a beach hut which we were given. Orders were taken at the table and my friend and I enjoyed a traditional roast chicken lunch. The pub had effective procedures and... Read full review
- carolinegO145BUTrip Type:Friends getawayLunch breakFriday, 11th September 2020A delicious lunch with a mate. We sat outside under cover. The service was so attentive, friendly and helpful and quick. The menu was varied and interesting and rather unexpectedly, even though... Read full review
- Karen SSalisbury, United KingdomLovely evening out!Thursday, 17th September 2020A warm welcome on arrival at the Old Ale house, good Covid measures with lots of space and easy check in. Our waiter Liam was extremely helpful, despite a few dietary requirements from some of our... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020