*CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*
Arundells, the home of former Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath, is situated in the beautiful Cathedral Close in Salisbury. Left much as it was when he lived here, the house contains Sir Edward’s extensive personal collections of musical and sailing memorabilia, Oriental and European ceramics, paintings, political cartoons, bronzes and photographs.
Built in the thirteenth century, Arundells was originally used as a medieval canonry. From the mid-1550s it was leased to lay tenants and much of the house’s current appearance is due to John Wyndham, who lived here from 1718 to 1750. The house was renovated in the 1960s, after a period of decay and neglect in the mid-20th century had nearly led to demolition. Sir Edward came to Arundells in 1985 and lived here until his death in 2005. His wish was that the house be opened to the public so that they too could “share the beauty of Arundells.”
Arundells is surrounded by a beautiful two-acre walled garden stretching down to the Rivers Avon and Nadder, with perfect views of Salisbury Cathedral. A separate exhibition room features an annual programme of exhibitions related to Sir Edward’s life and interests.
General entry and guided tour days available. Special events are held throughout the year, please visit our website for further details.
The grounds of Arundells are also available for private hire functions, please contact us to discuss your requirements.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Child 12 and under||Free|
|Garden and Exhibition Room||£3.00|
|Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues: House, Garden & Exhibition Room||£7.00|
|Wed only: Pre-booked guided tours||£10.00|
Bookings by groups and individuals are welcome.
Please book guided tours on Wednesdays online at www.arundells.org or by telephoning 01722 326546
|2020 - *CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE* (14 Mar 2020 - 9 Nov 2020)|
* *CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*
SATURDAYS, SUNDAYS, MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS
11am to 5pm (last admission 4.30pm)
Explore and enjoy Arundells at your leisure
Open for our famous pre-booked guided tours of the house.
Please book guided tours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays online at www.arundells.org or by telephoning 01722 326546
- Ramp/Level Access - There are 5 steps up to the front door. Ramp available for wheelchair users - ground floor only.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Shared with Rifles museum next door.
- Approx length of visit - Length of tour is 1hour+
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 12 per guided tour.
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction - Garden
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route - Short walk from city shopping area.
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - By appointment
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Groups Accepted - Maximum of 12/tour with 9 tours per day
Map & Directions
Pay and Display in City Centre car parks, with limited parking within the Cathedral Close. Disabled parking on West Walk. Nearest coach set down point in St. John's St. (pedestrian access through St. Ann's Gate), approximately 0.4 miles.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station is Salisbury South West Trains approximately 0.8 miles
- Arundells video
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good65
- LaCrotelloiseHampshire, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawaySuper visit to ArundellsThursday, 17th October 2019As part of a group we had a super visit to Arundells. It was informative & very interesting & such an amazing house. I have been to the Cathedral many times before but had never visited the house... Read full review
- TrippinTogetherDublin, OhioTrip Type:CouplesWonderful tour guidesSaturday, 26th October 2019The home is full of history and stories of its owner, former Prime Minister, Sir Edward (Ted) Heath, the gardens are beautiful and welcoming, but it’s the docents that bring this place to life! They... Read full review
- David TCromer, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMore than just a house.Wednesday, 6th November 2019Arundells, the home of Sir Edward Heath in Salisbury's cathedral close is a hidden gem amongst Salisbury's magnitude of places to visit. The home is managed by a trust outside of national bodies such... Read full review
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2015