*Currently Closed Until 1 May*
Situated just 2 miles north of where the city now stand the massive Iron Age Hill fort of Old Sarum was re-used by the Romans, Saxons and Normans before growing into one of the most flourishing settlements in medieval England.
See the ruins of a castle, cathedral and royal palace and enjoy views of the surrounding countryside.
The gift shop has a delicious range of ice-creams and exclusive English Heritage gifts and produce.
Wooden bows and arrows are also on sale to help the kids imagine what life was like all those years ago!
A great day out for families, heritage lovers and walkers.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Gift Aid||£4.70|
|Adult non Gift Aid||£4.20 per ticket|
|Child Gift Aid||£2.80|
|Child non Gift Aid||£2.50 per ticket|
|Concession Gift Aid||£4.20|
|Concession non Gift Aid||£3.80 per ticket|
|Family Gift Aid||£12.20|
|Family non Gift Aid||£11.70|
Please add the following copy into the Note section - The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|2020 - CURRENTLY CLOSED UNTIL 1 MAY (25 Mar 2020 - 30 Sept 2020)|
|2020 (1 Oct 2020 - 31 Oct 2020)|
|2016/2021 (1 Nov 2020 - 31 Mar 2021)|
* Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- In countryside
- Max group size - 150
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 11
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good629
- monkeywarrDurrington, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGood dog walkSaturday, 7th March 2020So we walked the dog up here. The access is tight and goes to 1 lane the car park isn't the biggest. But once parked the walk is good. And great views the dog loved running around it. Didn't pay to... Read full review
- IbreakforruinsLondon, United KingdomOne of the best preserved hillforts!Saturday, 14th March 2020Old Sarum was the original location for Salisbury's first Cathedral but more important, its history goes back 5,000 years and includes Neolithic, Celtic, Roman, Anglo Saxon and Norman inhabitants. Read full review
- jillcO8531IQSeattle, WashingtonTrip Type:Friends getawaysarum near stonehengeMonday, 16th March 2020Fascinating ancient town. Only able to see it in the distance from the tour bus window. If you have time, see it in person. It is fabulous. Read about it in advance. Very near Stonehenge. Read full review