Discover the story of the original Salisbury and take the family for an action-packed day out at Old Sarum.
Stand in the footprint of Salisbury's first cathedral, conquer the ruins of the royal castle, and discover the awe-inspiring landscape where it all began. One of the South’s most significant historic sites – William the Conqueror once hosted a great gathering at Old Sarum. Soak up the atmosphere as you explore a city lost to time.
There’s over 2,000 years of history to discover, as well as unrivalled views across the Wiltshire countryside. A favourite among walkers, the ramparts are the perfect place to let off some steam. Young adventurers can play hide and seek in the grounds, or enjoy a picnic in the heart of a once bustling medieval castle. Wooden bows and arrows are on sale to help the kids travel back in time, and the gift shop has a delicious range of ice creams and gifts to enjoy.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Child||£3.90 per ticket|
|Family 2 Adults||£16.90|
|Family, 1 adult||£10.40|
The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
* Please check website for latest opening hours.
Closed 24-25 December
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- In countryside
- Max group size - 150
- Min group size - 11
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good676
- katejC1630DNVery historic and I found it special. Simple place but meaningful.Wednesday, 18th October 2023Amazing as you approach it - it’s shape and obvious importance. I didn’t pay to go inside but walked around the site. Amazing and historic. It was once considered the most beautiful castle in... Read full review
- rob363Bridgend, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA fascinating exerienceWednesday, 1st November 2023Absolutely loved our visit to Old Sarum. Staff were friendly and informative. We followed the recommended route around and loved using our imaginations to think what it was like nearly a thousand... Read full review
- Jim SLiverpool, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelFantastic surprise findFriday, 10th November 2023One of the most interesting cstle sites I have visited. It was much more than I expected, with multiple castles and an old cathedral ruin. I spent several hours exploring all of ghe different parts... Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021