Situated just 2 miles north of where the city now stand the massive Iron Age Hill fort of Old Sarum was re-used by the Romans, Saxons and Normans before growing into one of the most flourishing settlements in medieval England.
See the ruins of a castle, cathedral and royal palace and enjoy views of the surrounding countryside.
The gift shop has a delicious range of ice-creams and exclusive English Heritage gifts and produce.
Wooden bows and arrows are also on sale to help the kids imagine what life was like all those years ago!
A great day out for families, heritage lovers and walkers.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Gift Aid||£4.70|
|Adult non Gift Aid||£4.20 per ticket|
|Child Gift Aid||£2.80|
|Child non Gift Aid||£2.50 per ticket|
|Concession Gift Aid||£4.20|
|Concession non Gift Aid||£3.80 per ticket|
|Family Gift Aid||£12.20|
|Family non Gift Aid||£11.70|
Please add the following copy into the Note section - The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|2021 (1 Oct 2021 - 31 Oct 2021)|
|2016/2022 (1 Nov 2021 - 31 Mar 2022)|
|2022 (25 Mar 2022 - 30 Sept 2022)|
* Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- In countryside
- Max group size - 150
- Min group size - 11
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good653
- 767valerieaTucson, ArizonaRemainsWednesday, 6th October 2021There really isn’t much to see at Old Sarum although the views from its hills are beautiful. The guide there was very good though. She explained its history and had some interesting anecdotes as well. Read full review
- lovetowander_co_ukBirmingham, United KingdomSee where Salisbury Cathedral was originally situatedFriday, 8th October 2021A very well presented English Heritage Site. We took the last trip of the day at 4.30. The views of the surrounding countryside are great from here. Read full review
- Allan CIpswich, United Kingdom"TThe howling wind makes it difficult to hear the mass, and it is a steep climb for the clergygy.Monday, 18th October 2021Two of the complaints made by Bishop Richard Poore when considering moving the settlement to the modern site and we can sympathise having been both soaked and nearly blown off the top by a sudden... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021