Situated just 2 miles north of where the city now stand the massive Iron Age Hill fort of Old Sarum was re-used by the Romans, Saxons and Normans before growing into one of the most flourishing settlements in medieval England.
See the ruins of a castle, cathedral and royal palace and enjoy views of the surrounding countryside.
The gift shop has a delicious range of ice-creams and exclusive English Heritage gifts and produce.
Wooden bows and arrows are also on sale to help the kids imagine what life was like all those years ago!
A great day out for families, heritage lovers and walkers.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Family 2 Adults||£16.90|
|Family, 1 adult||£10.40 per ticket|
The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|2022 (1 Apr 2022 - 30 Oct 2022)|
|2022 (31 Oct 2022 - 31 Mar 2023)|
|2021/2023 (1 Nov 2022 - 31 Mar 2023)|
* Closed 24-25 DecemberDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- In countryside
- Max group size - 150
- Min group size - 11
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good661
- 50cab50Bracknell, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA review of a walk, not the ancient fortWednesday, 13th April 2022Arrived at the car park at 4.15, so we were not minded to go in the ancient site as they close at 5. Paid £3 to leave the car. Toilets at the car park too. You can walk all around the outside of the... Read full review
- PureVacations TWhitstable, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely place to spend an hour or twoFriday, 15th April 2022Wonderful location, and excellent historical location dating back to 1070ad and william the conqueror. Worth a visit, nice small shop too.Walk in the footsteps of history. Views are great too. Read full review
- richardtC9983ULExeter, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSunday morning walkTuesday, 19th April 2022Huge castle mound, easy to spend hours walking around the ramparts. Fantastic views of the surrounding area. Easy to find with additional parking 5 minutes walk away by the rugby club. The size of... Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021