Situated just 2 miles north of where the city now stand the massive Iron Age Hill fort of Old Sarum was re-used by the Romans, Saxons and Normans before growing into one of the most flourishing settlements in medieval England.
See the ruins of a castle, cathedral and royal palace and enjoy views of the surrounding countryside.
The gift shop has a delicious range of ice-creams and exclusive English Heritage gifts and produce.
Wooden bows and arrows are also on sale to help the kids imagine what life was like all those years ago!
A great day out for families, heritage lovers and walkers.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Gift Aid||£4.70|
|Adult non Gift Aid||£4.50 per ticket|
|Child Gift Aid||£2.80|
|Child non Gift Aid||£2.70 per ticket|
|Concession Gift Aid||£4.20|
|Concession non Gift Aid||£4.00 per ticket|
|Family Gift Aid||£12.20|
|Family non Gift Aid||£11.70|
Please add the following copy into the Note section - The Gift Aid admission price includes a voluntary donation of 10%. Provided you have paid enough UK Income or Capital Gains Tax * (to cover all of your Gift Aid donations in this tax year), English Heritage is able to reclaim tax on the whole amount you have paid - that's 25p on every £1. This extra money enables us to undertake vital conservation and education projects and ensure that many of England's most important historic sites can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not apply.
|2016/2021 (1 Nov 2020 - 31 Mar 2021)|
|2021 (25 Mar 2021 - 30 Sept 2021)|
|2021 (1 Oct 2021 - 31 Oct 2021)|
* Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in shop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Approx length of visit - 01:15
- In countryside
- Max group size - 150
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 11
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good644
- W2005WVclaragTrip Type:CouplesVery interestingMonday, 26th October 2020This is a beautiful place to visit! Very impressive with the height! It is such a shame that the remainings are all in ruines but great job from the staff to explaining us how it was! Would... Read full review
- Neil HEpsom, United KingdomInteresting but not extensiveTuesday, 17th November 2020It was great exercise to walk up to Old Sarum from Salisbury town. You have to book before entering the castle which we hadn't done but I did purchase tickets sitting outside the entrance on my... Read full review
- SalisburyBen44Salisbury, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelScenicSaturday, 19th December 2020It’s quite a nice place to visit, went here after my coffee and cake at Boston Tea Party (which was fantastic). Was cold today and I walked around in a short period of time before I had to go... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020