Salisbury Museum is located in the heart of the Cathedral Close and houses one of the best collections relating to Stonehenge and local archaeology. The museum building is impressive in itself being a Grade I listed medieval property where King James I of England was entertained in 1610 and 1613.
The collections range from archaeology to fine art. The archaeology collection is estimated to be in excess of 100,000 objects and digs deep into the story of the region. Highlights include finds from excavations at Stonehenge, the Amesbury Archer and the medieval finds from Old Sarum.
The art on display includes two watercolours by J. M. W. Turner. There is also work by Rex Whistler (1905 – 1944) who most famous for his mural designs at Plas Newydd, Anglesey; Port Lympne and Mottisfont Abbey. The museum has Whistler oil paintings on display and also holds his archive which was acquired in 2013.
The main exhibition gallery has a regularly changing programme, whilst our events include talks, workshops, courses and family activities. Some of these events are currently being held online or offsite due to our redevelopment (see below).
The museum shop offers a carefully curated selection of books for children and adults who love history. The museum also has exclusive gifts based on the collection, and locally sourced items including children’s colour-in textiles, greetings cards by local artists, scented candles, and local honey.
The Salisbury Museum is currently undergoing a major re-development called Past Forward. The works began in March 2023 with the closure of the fashion, Salisbury history and ceramics galleries. The internationally important Wessex gallery of archaeology and main temporary exhibition gallery remain open. Due to the partial opening the museum is offering a 50% reduction on admission prices. We are open every day from 10am - 5pm.
|£9.00 per ticket
|Adult (Donation/Gift Aid)
|£10.00 per ticket
|Child (5-15 years)
|£4.50 per ticket
|Child (Donation/Gift Aid)
|£5.00 per ticket
|Family (2 + 4)
|£22.50 per ticket
|Family (Donation/Gift Aid)
|£25.00 per ticket
Donation Admissions can be tax effective if given under Gift Aid. Salisbury Museum can treat the whole amount paid as a donation and reclaim tax on the total. This amounts to an extra 25 per cent, potentially a very significant boost to Museum funds.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop in the Lecture Hall.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Improved visual acuity, large print brief guides on request.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Coffee shop type refreshments. Lunches.
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Approx length of visit - 02:00
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 30
- Min group size - 10
- No Smoking Attraction
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking essential.
- Festival of Archaeology 2015
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good138
- Lesley SWestburyA gem of a place! Well worth a visitMonday, 11th September 2023The museum is a lovely, air conditioned space and very well laid out. Currently undergoing some refurbishment, the part that is open was very impressive. Roman finds, a beautiful mosaic floor... Read full review
- madelineb902A Gem of a MuseumFriday, 20th October 2023The Salisbury Museum was undergoing construction when I visited so only three exhibits were open (and the entry fee was half-price). One exhibit was Fifty Years of the Salisbury Journal photo... Read full review
- nicolacC3713TNVolunteer Kate brought museum to lifeMonday, 4th December 2023Our trip to Salisbury Museum was brought to life by the joy and enthusiasm volunteer Kate gave to our experience. We really appreciated the effort she went to, to enhance our understanding of the... Read full review
- Visit England VisitEngland Hidden Gem accolade 2021
- Visit England VisitEngland Quality Rose Marque 2021