These beautifully laid out gardens near Tollard Royal in South Wiltshire were created by General Augustus Pitt Rivers in 1880. Originally designed as pleasure grounds for 'public enlightenment and entertainment', the Larmer Tree is an extraordinary example of Victorian extravagence. Recognised by English Heritage as a Garden of National Importance they were the first privately owned gardens to be opened for public enjoyment.
In the spring the gardens wonderful display of Camellias, Rhododendrons and woodland planting is there to be enjoyed. During summer the hydrangea collection makes a striking display of colour, and towering over the pinds the exceptionally fine Eucryphias make a magnificent sight. The autumn colours from the trees, shrubs and woodland offer visitor’s a rich tapestry of various shades.
There is a wonderful collection of ornate buildings.
The Coffee Grove Cafe is open Sunday to Wednesday 11am - 4.30pm, providing delicious refreshments for coffee and tea, or why not prebook a picnic? Group visits with a guided informal talk on the history and horticulture of the Larmer Tree, plus cream tea can be easily arranged.
Throughout the year many events are hosted here including open air film nights, Larmer Tree Music Festival and End of the Road Festival and are also available for private hire; therefore on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays the gardens are always closed. Please check the website for precise admissions information.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket|
|Child||£2.50 per ticket|
|Concessions||£3.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)||£12.00 per ticket|
Under 5s free.
|2021 (7 Apr 2021 - 28 July 2021)|
* Closed for the following occasional closures;
Sunday 27th June
Sunday 4th July
Sunday 11th July
Monday 19th July
Sunday 25th July
Closed from 28th July 2021.
The gardens will re-open March 2022
- No Dogs
- On-Site café/restaurant - The Coffee Grove Cafe and Shop is open Sunday to Wednesday 11am-4.30pm. Take-Away service only
- Picnic Site
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children - No charge for under 5’s
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Approximately 2 hours plus refreshments.
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 15 to qualify for concession.
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Cookery demonstrations can be organised by prior arrangement.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals - Available by prior arrangement.
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier
- Packed lunches available
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking is required.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good26
- terry mBlandford Forum, United Kingdombeautiful & peacefulFriday, 6th September 2019a nice place to relax and have an afternoon tea and scones nicely manicured green garden with a grotto and many walks Read full review
- Ian WDorset, United KingdomTo watch a playWednesday, 18th September 2019Our first visit to the Larmer Tree Gardens and was not disappointed. Beautiful setting to sit or walk around the gardens. We were there to watch a play with friends and we all enjoyed an excellent... Read full review
- jackie HGodshill, United Kingdombeautiful gardens lovely little cafeSunday, 10th November 2019really lovely gardens small and intimate, many beautiful bushes and plants, statues around the pretty pond area, they also have festivals here every year. its a prtty area , and nice drive. the... Read full review