Discover Wiltshire’s fairytale castle, stood serenely in its lakeside setting.
Built in the 14th century as a luxury residence, Old Wardour Castle is a picture-perfect backdrop for a family day out. The castle survived two bloodthirsty sieges in its time, perhaps most notably in 1643 – when Lady Blanche Arundell courageously defended her home for nearly a week with just 25 men and her maidservants.
The castle was famously used in the filming of 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves', as the ancestral home of Robin.
Today, surrounded by landscaped grounds and age-old trees, Old Wardour is a tranquil location for picnics and perfect for little adventurers to explore. Hidden corners and winding stone staircases make it easy to imagine life in the medieval castle.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£6.50 per ticket|
|Child||£3.50 per ticket|
|Concession||£5.50 per ticket|
|English Heritage Members||Free|
|Family (1 adult, up to 3 children)||£10.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults, up to 3 children)||£16.50 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
* Please check website for latest opening hours.
Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in ticket kiosk.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Carvings to touch.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Event Venue
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given) - German; French
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - 01:30
- In countryside
- Max group size - 100
- Min group size - 11
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- French spoken
- German spoken
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking - free
- Parking (free)
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A30. Located off A350 2 miles south-west of Tisbury.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Tisbury station, 2.5 miles. Wilts and Dorset bus route 26 from Salisbury to Shaftesbury (passes Tisbury train station).
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good118
- 723julianhDevizes, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovelySunday, 10th September 2023Certainly one of the most impressive castles I have ever seen, so much to see and explore and the history is very well documented too. The setting is simply stunning overlooking the lake and it’s... Read full review
- mr_bukarooLeicester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesNice afternoon at a dog friendly castleMonday, 11th September 2023Spent a nice afternoon here with the family and dogs. Reasonably priced to get in and happy to pay a voluntary contribution to help the up keep. £41 for two adults and four over 65s including... Read full review
- Kees ZWageningen, The NetherlandsOld English historical site Wardour castle.Sunday, 24th September 2023Historical site with beautiful views over the valley. Walk through the garden and go up into the building to read the origins of this house. Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021