Set in the outstanding landscape of the Cranborne Chase, between Salisbury and Blandford Forum, these beautifully laid out gardens were created by General Augustus Pitt Rivers in 1880. Originally designed as pleasure grounds for 'public enlightenment and entertainment', The Larmer Tree is an extraordinary example of Victorian extravagence. Recognised by English Heritage as a Garden of National Importance they were the first privately owned gardens to be opened for public enjoyment.
From the magnificent main lawn radiate wide laurel-hedged rides which take you to the tranquil woodland beyond. In spring a wonderful display of Camellias, Rhododendrons and woodland planting is there to be enjoyed. In high summer the hydrangea collection makes a striking display of colour, and towering over the pinds the exceptionally fine Eucryphias make a magnificent sight. The trees and shrubs of the garden, and its woodland beyond, produce a rich tapestry of colour for our autumn visitors. The Larmer Tree contains a wonderful collection of ornate buildings retained in an enchanting and tranquil atmosphere.
The Coffee Grove is open on Sundays only, 10am to 4pm, providing delicious refreshments including hot and cold drinks and light lunches. Picnics are welcome at all times and can be enjoyed in the gardens.
The gardens host many events during the year including open air film nights, Larmer Tree Music Festival and End of the Road Festival and are also available for private hire; therefore on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays the gardens are always closed. Please check the website for precise admissions information.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket|
|Child||£2.50 per ticket|
|Concessions||£3.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)||£12.00 per ticket|
Under 5s free.
|2024 (31 Mar 2024 - 13 Aug 2024)|
|2024 (17 Sept 2024 - 31 Oct 2024)|
* Occasional closures may take place due to private events. Please refer to the Larmer Tree website for precise opening datesDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- No Dogs
- On-Site café/restaurant - The Coffee Grove Cafe and Shop is open Sunday to Wednesday 10am-4.00pm. Take-Away service only
- Picnic Site
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children - No charge for under 5’s
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - Approximately 2 hours plus refreshments.
- In countryside
- Min group size - 15 to qualify for concession.
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier
- Packed lunches available
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking is required.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good26
- Ian WDorset, United KingdomTo watch a playWednesday, 18th September 2019Our first visit to the Larmer Tree Gardens and was not disappointed. Beautiful setting to sit or walk around the gardens. We were there to watch a play with friends and we all enjoyed an excellent... Read full review
- jackie HGodshill, United Kingdombeautiful gardens lovely little cafeSunday, 10th November 2019really lovely gardens small and intimate, many beautiful bushes and plants, statues around the pretty pond area, they also have festivals here every year. its a prtty area , and nice drive. the... Read full review
- Roger HChichester, United KingdomVery goodWednesday, 16th June 2021A lovely little place, with the peacocks very much the stars of the show, all in beautiful surroundings. Read full review