*Following government guidance on the COVID-19 pandemic, Salisbury Cathedral is closed until further notice.*
Explore over 800 years of history at Salisbury Cathedral, one of the UK’s most iconic medieval buildings with an award-winning welcome. Discover our original 1215 Magna Carta, one of only four in the world, and explore its legacy in an interactive exhibition. See the world’s oldest working mechanical clock and admire the fabulous stained glass. When you are done, relax and enjoy a delicious cream tea in the Refectory Restaurant with fabulous views of Britain’s tallest spire or lunch in The Bell Tower Tearooms (open March- October) overlooking the Cathedral lawns.
Salisbury Cathedral is the perfect way to spend your day - just 8 miles from Stonehenge and only 5 minutes from Old Sarum, the original site of the cathedral.
“An awesome experience and the very best way to appreciate the magnificence of the Cathedral and the most impressive view of Salisbury.” Debhorne47, TripAdvisor.
Climb 332 steps to the foot of our famous spire for a ‘behind the scenes’ experience which offers the most spectacular views of both the inside and the outside of the Cathedral. Maximum 12 people per tour. Find out more about Tower Tours.
Library Tour and Tea
“An excellent tour, very informative and educational. Very well presented!” – Dave, December 2016 tour. Visit the Cathedral’s 15th century Library which contains over 10,000 books dating as far back as the 9th century, then enjoy a delicious cream tea in our Refectory Restaurant. Tickets £22 per person. (Due to access restrictions this tour may not be suitable for some.)
Climb to triforium level on a medieval Graffiti Tour to view ancient Arabic carpentry markings, believed to be amongst the earliest in the country, and enjoy a photo opportunity looking down the full length of the Nave. Tours begin in May 2017 and have a maximum of 8 spaces.
Stonemasonry Works Yard Tours
Go behind the scenes of our Works Yard, one of only nine remaining in the country, and witness the incredible hand-carving skills of our talented stonemasons. ‘It was a fascinating tour and I learnt so much’ – TripAdvisor review
Tower Tour review: ‘I loved every minute, even all the steps! An excellent perspective of a gorgeous city’ – TripAdvisor review
Library Tour review: ‘Marvellous to see the books close-up!’
Graffiti Tour review: ‘An excellent tour, highly recommended… social history at its best’- TripAdvisor review
|Cathedral Opening Times||Visiting Times||Worship||Shop Opening Times|
|Mondays - Saturdays||09.00 - 17.00||07.15 - 18.15||09.30 - 17.30|
|Sundays||12.00 - 16.00||08.00 - 17.30||09.30 - 17.30|
Opening hours are subject to change due to services and events. Find out more about closures.
|Magna Carta Opening Times|
|Mondays - Saturdays||09:30 - 17:00|
|Sundays||11:00 - 16:00|
Please note, from late October to late March, the Magna Carta exhibition will be open from 10:00 – 16:30 on Monday to Saturday. For help planning your visit, find out more here.
For group rates (10 +) or ideas for special interest tours call Hannah Paye on 01722 555120 or email email@example.com There are flexible options to suit every group's needs.
- Tallest spire in Britain
- The UK’s largest Close
- Britain’s largest landscaped Cloisters
- 13th century Chapter House with medieval frieze
- Contemporary Art and Events
- Cathedral Gift Shop
- The Refectory Restaurant with locally sourced produce
- The Bell Tower Tea Rooms in the summer months
- Award-winning toilets
- Disabled access and facilities
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (Recommended donation)||£7.50 per ticket|
|Child (5-17) (Recommended donation)||£3.00 per ticket|
|Family (Recommended donation)||£15.00 per ticket|
|Senior (Recommended donation)||£6.50 per ticket|
|Student (Recommended donation)||£4.50 per ticket|
|Tower Tour Adult||£13.50 per ticket|
|Tower Tour Child 7-17 years||£8.50 per ticket|
|Tower Tour Family||£33.00 per ticket|
The prices listed above are a recommended amount for donation. All donations are gratefully received and help to maintain this special building, which costs £14,000 a day to run.
If you are a UK taxpayer and choose to Gift Aid, the Cathedral can gain an additional 25 per cent on top of your donations at no additional cost to you. It’s well worth doing because we can claim back 25p for every £1 donated from the government. Find out more: https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/visit-plan-your-visit/recommended-donations
The Cathedral has a dedicated Travel Groups & Visitors Co-ordinator as a personal point of contact for planning and booking group visits. Simply call our booking line 01722 555120 or email us at email firstname.lastname@example.org
Different prices for Christmas Tower Tours and Group Tower Tours apply. Please contact Salisbury Cathedral for details.
|Gift Shop and Restaurant (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Mar 2021)|
|2015 - 2021 Visitor Opening Times (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Mar 2021)|
* Following government guidance on the COVID-19 pandemic, Salisbury Cathedral is closed until further notice.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Visitor leaflet and loop system during services (Minicom).
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch and feel model/linked commentary large print service books.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Open daily, 0930-1730,snacks and freshly cooked meals, licensed. Not open Christmas Day.
- Picnic Site
- Dogs Accepted - Well behaved dogs on leads are permitting inside the cathedral.
- Event Venue
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - 02:00
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 100
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - Parking for Disabled Badge holders is available – otherwise please use the city centre car parks or park and ride sites. There is some parking in the Cathedral Close - £7 all day.
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Booking essential - Booking essential for tower tours.
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 10
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Chinese printed material
- Czech printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Hungarian printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Latvian printed material
- Polish printed material
- Portuguese printed material
- Russian printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun - Activity packs for young children and special family trails.
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - 10
- Groups Accepted - Subject to Cathedral services.
- Salisbury Cathedral video
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1345
- jillcO8531IQSeattle, WashingtonTrip Type:Friends getawaySalisbury CathedralMonday, 23rd March 2020Elegant cathedral with stunning windows. Was there in February and the whole area around was windy and very cold. Cathedral is cold too. Self walking tour available so you can walk and view at... Read full review
- 393suelTruro, United KingdomStunning architecture and historyTuesday, 31st March 2020How can you visit Salisbury and not go to the Cathedral. It is set in beautiful grounds and the building itself is stunning. Don't get put off by the entrance fee, it is only a recommendation... Read full review
- TricmartEleutheraTrip Type:Friends getawayA journey into the unknownSunday, 3rd May 2020A History of the past embedded into our future. This will take you way back in time. Dating from about 1386. The Magna Carta and the oldest, faceless working clock in the world, found at Salisbury... Read full review
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2013
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor Hall of Fame 2018
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence - 2019 2019