Wilton House, home to the 18th Earl of Pembroke, provides a fascinating insight into British history. Built on the site of a 9th century nunnery but now set in 21 acres of landscaped parkland, with water and rose gardens beside the River Nadder and Palladian Bridge.
Within the house you will find the magnificent Inigo Jones Staterooms including the famous Double Cube Room - the finest surviving 17th century stateroom in England - which was designed to display the family portraits by Van Dyck. This is the greatest collection of paintings by the artist still to be seen in its original setting. Other artists on display include Pieter Brueghel, Rembrandt van Rijn and Richard Wilson. Guides are on hand within the rooms to tell you more about the fascinating history of the rooms.
A programme of special events throughout the year including the annual antiques fair, classic and sports car meets, the Wilton Horse Trials as well as charity walks.
For younger visitors there is an exciting outdoor adventure playground and quizzes in the house and grounds. There’s even a special area reserved for the under 5s.
The grounds are perfect for picnics, enjoy watching the river pass under the Palladian Bridge, see the Millennium water feature, the Japanese Water Garden and the rose displays. Take a stroll through the arboretum, discover the mysteries of the whispering seat or simply soak up the sun on one of the lawns.
Motoring enthusiasts will enjoy seeing Lord Pembroke’s Classic and Supercar collection in the Old Riding School (please check the website or call for opening times in advance of your visit).
Wilton House has been regularly used as a filming location and featured in the film version of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley, The Young Victoria, The Madness of King George, The Crown and in 2017, Tomb Raider.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Grounds||£6.50 per ticket|
|Adult House and Grounds||£15.50 per ticket|
|Child (5-15) House and Grounds(5-15 yrs)||£8.00 per ticket|
|Child Grounds||£5.00 per ticket|
|Concession Gardens||£6.00 per ticket|
|Concession House and Grounds||£13.25 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults, 2 children) Grounds||£18.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults, 2 children) House and Grounds (2+2)||£38.50 per ticket|
Under 5s free.
|Season (1 Apr 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop in film.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Childrens Play Area
- No Dogs
- On-Site café/restaurant - Fully licensed self-service restaurant.
- Picnic Site
- Event Venue
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- Approx length of visit - 90 minutes for the house.
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction - both indoor and outdoor
- Max group size - 150
- Min group size - 15
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Outdoor Attraction - both indoor and outdoor
- French spoken
- German spoken
- Spanish spoken
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Booking essential - booking essential for groups
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free - on production of ID
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - specialist tours for a minimum group of 15 plus extra charge
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Pre-booking preferred.
Map & Directions
Wilton is located on the A30 to the west of Salisbury, Wilton House is near the A36 / A30 junction.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Salisbury station, 3 miles away.60, 60A and 61 bus services from Salisbury city centre take just 10 minutes.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good134
- Jennypenny14Newbury, United KingdomEnjoyable gardensTuesday, 17th August 2021Visited gardens and cafe The cafe was interesting with its old tables, crockery etc Great coffee. We had lunch but I ordered quiche and the days salads but Got two small pieces of beetroot and... Read full review
- Amy CWarminster, United KingdomA hidden gem for familiesMonday, 23rd August 2021At first glance of the website, Wilton House & Gardens doesn't look like the perfect summer day out for families with kids, but it absolutely is! Tickets for the grounds early are relatively... Read full review
- travelmidgeymooEngland, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelWorthwhile but requires improvement to the tourSunday, 12th September 2021Lovely house and grounds but tour was incredibly rushed (40 minutes only)with no chance to look at furniture, paintings and take in the overall internal architecture. Whilst guide was knowledgeable... Read full review