See gold from the time of Stonehenge! Wiltshire Museum is home to the best Bronze Age archaeology collection in Britain. Explore the galleries, see the outstanding collections and find out more about the fascinating history of Wiltshire and its people over the last 6,000 years.
Our brand new Prehistoric Wiltshire Galleries tell the story of the people who built and used the world renowned monuments of Stonehenge and Avebury. Unique gold and amber objects date back over 4,000 years to the Bronze Age – the time of shamans and priests, learning and culture across Europe. Later periods, including the Iron Age, Romans and Saxons, are also featured, together with the story of Devizes and the surrounding area. There are fun activities for all the family throughout the Museum.
Special exhibitions are held throughout the year – displaying the work of renowned artists, the Wiltshire landscape or highlighting more of our vast collection. Visit our website for details of current exhibitions and events. We have an extensive archive and library, which is open to visitors and researchers. Our collections are Designated by the government as being of national importance.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult with Gift Aid||£6.00 per ticket|
|Concession with Gift Aid||£5.00 per ticket|
|School groups||£3.00 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 18 Mar 2022)|
* Closed between 1 - 1:30 pm
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Sound effects in some galleries. Large print labeols and guides.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Open All Year
- Approx length of visit
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 60
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- American Express accepted
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Diners Club accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 10
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.No.
Map & Directions
Long Street is on the A360 just 3 minutes' walk from town centre. By car: From Bristol via the M4 - leave the M4 at Junction 17 and take the A342 via Chippenham. From London, leave the M4 at Junction 15; take the A346 to Marlborough, then the A4 and the A361 and A360.From the south east - follow the M3 to Junction 8 and take the A303 and A342 via Ludgershall.From the south - follow the A350 to Semington and then the A361 and A360.
Public Transport Directions
By train: there are main line railway stations at Bath, Chippenham, Pewsey, Swindon and Westbury.By bus: there is an excellent bus connection to Bath (X272), Swindon and Trowbridge (49), Chippenham (33 and X33) and good connections to many other towns and villages.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good81
- MeSteveKBSalisbury, United KingdomExcellent museum of the local area.Monday, 18th November 2019A small museum in a small town which punches above its weight. It is bigger than it deems once you get inside. Lots to see, succinctly written up. Do look out for it if you are visiting Devizes. Read full review
- 155wendyrCambridge, United KingdomBrilliantly organisedSaturday, 7th March 2020A most excellently laid out museum. A truly interesting way of discovering the history and prehistory of the area without being overwhelmed. Lots for children to do. Read full review
- NicholasgaddPoorly set out and a demand of a “voluntary donation” of £10 or more for a single adult is a rip offSunday, 29th November 2020Just get a book and read about Wiltshire , this was a waste of money and a rip off at best , the rude old lady on the desk demanding a voluntary donation of at least £10 per adult is so off putting I... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021