See gold from the time of Stonehenge! Wiltshire Museum is home to the best Bronze Age archaeology collection in Britain. Explore the galleries, see the outstanding collections and find out more about the fascinating history of Wiltshire and its people over the last 6,000 years.
Our brand new Prehistoric Wiltshire Galleries tell the story of the people who built and used the world renowned monuments of Stonehenge and Avebury. Unique gold and amber objects date back over 4,000 years to the Bronze Age – the time of shamans and priests, learning and culture across Europe. Later periods, including the Iron Age, Romans and Saxons, are also featured, together with the story of Devizes and the surrounding area. There are fun activities for all the family throughout the Museum.
Special exhibitions are held throughout the year – displaying the work of renowned artists, the Wiltshire landscape or highlighting more of our vast collection. Visit our website for details of current exhibitions and events. We have an extensive archive and library, which is open to visitors and researchers. Our collections are Designated by the government as being of national importance.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult with Gift Aid||£6.00 per ticket|
|Concession with Gift Aid||£5.00 per ticket|
|School groups||£3.00 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 18 Mar 2022)|
* Closed between 1 - 1:30 pm
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Sound effects in some galleries. Large print labeols and guides.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Open All Year
- Approx length of visit
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 60
- Min group size - 10
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- American Express accepted
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- Diners Club accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.No.
Map & Directions
Long Street is on the A360 just 3 minutes' walk from town centre. By car: From Bristol via the M4 - leave the M4 at Junction 17 and take the A342 via Chippenham. From London, leave the M4 at Junction 15; take the A346 to Marlborough, then the A4 and the A361 and A360.From the south east - follow the M3 to Junction 8 and take the A303 and A342 via Ludgershall.From the south - follow the A350 to Semington and then the A361 and A360.
Public Transport Directions
By train: there are main line railway stations at Bath, Chippenham, Pewsey, Swindon and Westbury.By bus: there is an excellent bus connection to Bath (X272), Swindon and Trowbridge (49), Chippenham (33 and X33) and good connections to many other towns and villages.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good84
- Anne SLeeds, United KingdomBetter than we expectedSaturday, 11th September 2021There is a lot more content here than you imagine upon entry. It covers thousands of years of history and has some fascinating items including the Devizes Lion ! Read full review
- 232stephennMonmouth, United KingdomA seriously impressive museum.Thursday, 14th October 2021Visited 13/10/21 to see Ravilious exhibition. Wonderful selection of really high quality art, that could be viewed and experienced in (for the most part) great peace and quiet. Simply wonderful... Read full review
- hedleyt2021I knew I would really enjoy it, but...Saturday, 16th October 2021I am not sure where to start to be honest, I had been looking forward to seeing Eric Ravilious' work for a while but when we arrived it was immediately clear that the exhibition was something... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021