The Chalk Barn is a luxury self-catering cottage located at Buttle Farm in the lovely conservation village of Compton Bassett. Many original features have been retained but the conversion has been done to the highest standard in contemporary style, with huge vaulted bedrooms, stunning en-suites and spacious reception rooms.
We believe that your holiday should be a treat and not a compromise and have fitted out the Chalk Barn not merely to please our guests, but to delight them.
The Chalk Barn is available as 4-bed, 3-bed or 2-bed – perfect flexible accommodation - two bedrooms are in the main Chalk Barn, with two more across the yard. Take two bedrooms for the whole week and invite friends or family to visit for a couple of days – just pay for the rooms you want, when you want (cottage minimum stay 3 nights)!
All bedrooms are equipped with superking beds, Egyptian cotton bed linen, sumptuous bath/shower rooms with deluxe towels, Cowshed toiletries, bathrobes and slippers.
The large kitchen/diner includes a fully equipped kitchen area, dining table to seat 8-10, bar stools at a breakfast bar, fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee machine, dishwasher and washing machine.
Breakfast starter packs can be provided, as can a supper arrival pack – no need to worry about cooking or finding a restaurant on that first evening, just turn up and eat! Get in touch if you want to know more.
A cosy lounge with comfy sofas for lazy afternoons watching TV or reading, or energised evenings playing some of the games stored there.
The accommodation has underfloor heating throughout fed by a biomass boiler. Outside there is a large patio area with table and chairs and a Weber BBQ – or if you don’t want to cook, there is an award winning pub in the village just a short walk away.
There is ample parking on site, with garage parking (at a small charge) subject to availability so your car will be as safe and comfortable as you are.
Events can be catered for on the huge terrace area – an ideal space for a family party or reunion with its wood fired oven, spit roast and BBQ.
Ideally located just a couple of miles from the A4 and within easy distance of Jcts 16 and 17 of the M4, an ideal location for days out in the area.
We are a working farm, raising rare breed pigs in an extensive free range environment – living in small groups with acres of paddock to graze, root, wallow and snooze. We have a modern, high tech processing unit on the farm where Robert not only prepares the fresh pork but also creates award winning charcuterie including salami and air dried ham, and also some stunning bacon! If you are interested, we will happily give you a tour of the farm to meet the pigs and of course, always happy to sell you some pork! If you want to make your visit a real treat, why not book a training course with us – we can customise to suit you from a full day to a few hours, but find most people want to make salami, sausages and bacon! Get in touch for more info on courses!
If you are a walker, we are right on a footpath that leads to the Cherhill White Horse and then on to the Ridgeway and the North Wessex Downs AONB; if you are a cyclist, a cycle track starts just a few hundred yards away, for history lovers, there’s Avebury (you can walk there if you like) or Stonehenge, for city slickers we have the delights of Bath and Salisbury, or for some full on retail therapy, the Designer Outlet shops in Swindon and the charming market town of Marlborough just a few miles away. And if none of that appeals, you can always go hunting for crop circles!
Book online via our website www.buttlefarm.co.uk/accommodation - and get in touch direct with special requests.
This accommodation does not have any available rooms
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Chalk Barn - let as four bedrooms||from £1,680.00 to £2,760.00 per unit per week|
|Also available as:|
|Chalk Barn - let as three bedrooms||from £1,277.00 to £2,099.00 per unit per week|
|Chalk Barn - let as two bedrooms||from £875.00 to £1,437.00 per unit per week|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Children over 8 years welcome.
- Countryside Location
- Electricity inc in rate
- Exclusive Use
- Free car parking
- Gym and Leisure facilities
- Linen provided
- Open All Year
- Short breaks available
- Wedding Venue
- Farm - Working rare breed pig farm – come and see the different breeds and see how pigs live in an extensive free range environment.
- Film or TV location - Location for buildings and/or farm and/or pigs.
- Groups Welcomed
- In countryside - Conservation village, AONB.
- Midweek breaks
- Non smoking establishment - Smoking permitted in selected outdoors locations.
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Walking distance to Avebury and Cherhill White Horse.
- Village Location - In conservation village with award-winning pub just a short stroll away.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Plenty of parking, some under cover, including some garage parking (small charge) subject to availability
- On site parking
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- American Express accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Central Heating
- Colour Television in all units
- Colour TV
- Electric shaver point
- Free View TV
- Ground Floor Accommodation
- Microwave in all units
- Non smoking rooms available
- Non smoking units
- Oven / Cooker
- TV in all bedrooms
- Underfloor heating
- Washing Machine
- Mobile Phone Reception
Room / Unit Features: Chalk Barn - let as four bedrooms
- Central Heating
- Colour Television
- Ironing Facilities
- Non smoking units
- Size in square meters - 250
- Washing Machine
Map & Directions
SATNAV: our postcode – SN11 8RE - covers most of the village and there is no specific road name. We recommend you enter the village name rather than the postcode and then follow the driving directions below. Buttle Farm is marked on Google Maps and our specific coordinates are : 51o 26’ 42.0 North, 1o 57’ 31.5 West.
Final Driving Directions: There is only one road through Compton Bassett, joining the A4 at the South end and the A3102 at the North end.
If coming in from the A4, go through Lower Compton following signs to Compton Bassett. Buttle Farm is the 2nd property on the left as you enter the village just before a house called the Walled Garden.
If coming in from the A3102, Buttle Farm is right at the far end of the village (approx. 2 miles from the village sign) on the right – past the pub and the church, just after a house called the Walled Garden.
Look out for the high brick wall, curved entrance and black metal gates.
Public Transport Directions
The nearest railway station is Chippenham, approximately 11 miles away. There is not a fixed taxi rank at the station but several firms in the area.
There is an occasional bus service to and from Compton Bassett from the nearby town of Calne but the nearest bus stop is approximately half a mile from the Farm.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good0
- HerefordKarl_HeinzHerefordTrip Type:FamilyFive star plus!Saturday, 10th November 2018I can't really add anything to what has already been said, except if it was possible to give more than 5 stars, I would! Our special birthday celebration was made even more special by the wonderful... Read full review
- Nick BSandhurst, United KingdomFamily Bank Holiday WeekendSaturday, 7th September 20196 Adult and a 3 month old Baby met up on Friday Evening for a three night stay over the August Bank Holiday weekend. The Accommodation was excellent with every conceivable item you could want to use... Read full review
- andyc156Crewe, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA gem in the country sideSunday, 20th October 2019Tucked away in the leafy lanes of Wiltshire this gem of a place is an ideal location to explore what the county has to offer. We stayed while attending a family wedding at the nearby Boswood Hall... Read full review