General admission to Chippenham Museum is currently by free timed ticket - a Private View.
Private View @ Chippenham Museum allows for 1 to 6 people (up to 2 households/bubbles) to enjoy sole use of the museum for one hour.
Booking is essential either on the museum’s website, by calling 01249 705020 or pop in to check when the next timeslot is available.
Visit new art exhibition ‘Spotlight On’, which introduces a newly acquired collection of locally produced artwork spanning 100 years. View refreshed displays throughout the museum including a new social history gallery on the first floor. The museum has also ensured visitors can still enjoy family-friendly activities.
Visit England Good to Go status means the museum’s processes to maintain cleanliness and social distancing follow Government COVID-19 guidelines. The museum’s Visitor Guidelines detail the things you need to know to make your visit safe and enjoyable.
Housed in an 18th century townhouse, Chippenham Museum tells the fascinating story of this historic market town from its prehistoric origins to the present day.
Learn about the town’s development, through its connections to river, road and rail and explore its surprising links to Alfred the Great and Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
Enjoy regularly changing displays in the temporary exhibition gallery or take part in a varied programme of walks, talks, family activities and special events. Visit the museum shop selling artisan items, books and gifts either produced in the local area or inspired by the museum’s collections.
Why not also visit Chippenham’s medieval Yelde Hall, just a two minute walk from the museum? Open Friday to Saturday 10.30am to 3.30pm with entry free.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2021 - *MUSEUM & YELDE HALL ARE CLOSED UNTIL 15 JUNE* (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* *MUSEUM & YELDE HALL ARE CLOSED UNTIL 15 JUNE*
Yelde Hall open Fridays and Saturdays 10.30am – 3.30pm, open at other times by arrangement
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Conference facilities
- Open All Year
- Approx length of visit - 2hrs including a visit to the Yelde Hall
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 30
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Car parks available nearby, contact museum or see website for details
- Min group size - 5
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Not on Sun.
Map & Directions
• Follow the brown tourist signs for Bowood House from the motorway into the town centre. Do not follow brown signs to the Swindon and Wiltshire History Centre!• On seeing the railway arches, get into the right-hand lane and follow the road marked Calne/Bath/A4 under the right-hand arch.• Follow the blue 'P' parking sign for Borough Parade and Emery Gate, and the brown "Angel Hotel" signs.• Turn left into Gladstone Road and go over the river bridge.• On the first left you will find the Borough Parade car park which is pay and display or• Continue past the car park entrance and the back of the Angel Hotel• Turn Left down River Street ( opposite the Gladstone Public House)• And first left again into car park next to the library. There is limited parking here
Public Transport Directions
Directions from the Railway Station The Museum is a 10 minute walk from the station• On leaving the station turn right down the hill towards the town centre ( Cocklebury Rd /Station Road on map)• Turn right down New Road and over the bridge• Continue onto High Street ( Closed to traffic)• The Museum is situation in the Market Place past the Buttercross and next to the Angel Hotel Direction from the Bus StationThe museum is right next to the bus station in the town Market Place
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good25
- cornish_frogboyPenryn, United KingdomAn interesting museum, hosted by two lovely ladies. Well worth a look.Saturday, 30th November 2019I was bought up in Chippenham and today returned for the first time in 42 years. The museum had to be a port of call. It was thoughtfully laid out, probably on a limited budget, but with clearly... Read full review
- John SPeterborough, United KingdomWell worth a visitMonday, 5th October 2020Friendly welcome ,not the greatest museum but interesting displays and well set out. Well worth a visit Read full review
- fishdognice wealk aroundThursday, 19th November 2020Very interesting to wander around here ,the staff are always willing to help you very plesent place to visit . Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021