Chippenham Museum is free to visit, open 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday in the heart of Chippenham.
Housed in an 18th century townhouse, Chippenham Museum tells the fascinating story of this historic market town from its prehistoric origins to the present day.
Learn about the town’s development, through its connections to river, road and rail, and explore its surprising links to Alfred the Great and Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
Discover the creativity of North Wiltshire through the museum's notable art collection. Enjoy a programme of historical and creative exhibitions, with events and workshops for all ages and local artists and makers in the museum shop.
Why not also visit Chippenham’s medieval Yelde Hall, just a two minute walk from the museum? Open on Saturdays with free entry, 10.30am to 3.30pm from April to October.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
* Yelde Hall open Fridays and Saturdays 10.30am – 3.30pm, open at other times by arrangementDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Conference facilities
- Open All Year
- Approx length of visit - 2hrs including a visit to the Yelde Hall
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 30
- Min group size - 5
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Car parks available nearby, contact museum or see website for details
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Not on Sun.
Map & Directions
• Follow the brown tourist signs for Bowood House from the motorway into the town centre. Do not follow brown signs to the Swindon and Wiltshire History Centre!• On seeing the railway arches, get into the right-hand lane and follow the road marked Calne/Bath/A4 under the right-hand arch.• Follow the blue 'P' parking sign for Borough Parade and Emery Gate, and the brown "Angel Hotel" signs.• Turn left into Gladstone Road and go over the river bridge.• On the first left you will find the Borough Parade car park which is pay and display or• Continue past the car park entrance and the back of the Angel Hotel• Turn Left down River Street ( opposite the Gladstone Public House)• And first left again into car park next to the library. There is limited parking here
Public Transport Directions
Directions from the Railway Station The Museum is a 10 minute walk from the station• On leaving the station turn right down the hill towards the town centre ( Cocklebury Rd /Station Road on map)• Turn right down New Road and over the bridge• Continue onto High Street ( Closed to traffic)• The Museum is situation in the Market Place past the Buttercross and next to the Angel Hotel Direction from the Bus StationThe museum is right next to the bus station in the town Market Place
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good27
- g4800GZFRIENDLY HELPFUL STAFF BUT VERY POOR DISPLAY ABOUT EDDIE COCHRAN!Monday, 18th April 2022I visited the Museum on Easter Saturday 16th April 2022 in connection with my personal pilgrimage to 'celebrate' the late great Eddie Cochran's life and music. NO ENTRY £CHARGE but it closes rather... Read full review
- MikeLondonSELondon, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelGreat small and free museum for visitors. Clean toilets. Friendly staff. Mixed up with Yelde HallMonday, 2nd May 202230/10/21 I had some time to spare in Central Chippenham so decided to visit this Museum and The Yelde Hall nearby in the late afternoon close to closing time. These two places get mixed up in... Read full review
- Cherriesfan99Cheltenham, United KingdomVery enjoyable and informative visitFriday, 27th May 2022Very enjoyable and informative visit to this charming museum. Subdivided into history, pre history and special occasions. The museum had an exceptional section on Chippenham's industries, and the... Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021