Visiting Salisbury’s Cathedral Close, you step back into a past world. Mompesson House, which featured in the film Sense and Sensibility, has a warm and inviting atmosphere and many different families have called the house ‘home’. The sense of tranquillity is enhanced by the magnificent plasterwork, graceful oak staircase and fine period furniture, which are the main features of this quintessential Queen Anne townhouse. Mompesson has one of the finest displays of English 18th century drinking glasses and a collection of watercolours by former resident Barbara Townsend. The garden, with its traditional herbaceous borders and pergola, is an oasis of calm.
|Christmas Opening (23 Nov 2023 - 23 Dec 2023)|
|Main Season (10 Mar 2024 - 29 Oct 2024)|
* Last entry 30 minutes before closing
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Large print guide, Braille guides, scented plants.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access - Ground floor of house, garden and second-hand bookshop
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- No Dogs
- Shop - Second-hand bookshop
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction - house
- Outdoor Attraction - garden
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - City centre pay and display car parks.
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Themed Events
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Introductory talks available throughout the day
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Groups Accepted - Please call or email the Mompesson team to discuss your visit.
Map & Directions
Located in the Cathedral Close. Nearest major roads are M3; M27; A36 and A303. Follow signs to Salisbury. Park and Ride sites are located on A36 west of Salisbury; A345 near Old Sarum to the north of the city; A30 London Road - also in a northerly direction and the A338 south of Salisbury on the Downton/Ringwood/Bournemouth road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Salisbury station, 10 min walk. From station turn right into Mill Road. Continue along this road and Cranebridge Road to city centre. At High Street traffic lights turn right into Cathedral Close. First right, house is on right.All Salisbury city centre bus routes within easy walking distance.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good246
- HawaiiSeaDogHawaiiTrip Type:CouplesInteresting House and GardenMonday, 31st July 2023A very interesting house with good collections. The garden was in full bloom and had a tranquil atmosphere. Read full review
- realcreMannheim, GermanyLovely GardenFriday, 4th August 2023Mopesson House is a beautiful house in the middle of Salisbury. It has wonderful interior with interesting Story and helpful housekeeping tips. The highlights are the lovely garden and the Teahouse... Read full review
- John SHorsham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA rather soulless placeSunday, 8th October 2023We visited after having seen excellent Arundells and perhaps our review is coloured by this. But although the house is interesting the lack of any real connection to former owners is a great... Read full review