Westonbirt is a remarkable place for people to enjoy and learn about trees. Borne of a Victorian passion for plant collecting, around 15,000 trees from all over the globe now offer the perfect setting to escape, relax or have an adventure...
Westonbirt’s combination of maturity, species diversity and landscape style make it one of the most extraordinary arboretums in the world.
Created by Victorian entrepreneur Robert Holford, its 240 hectares (600 acres) were planted during an exciting period of plant hunting, when trees and shrubs from all over the globe were introduced to Britain.
Unlike other arboretums, the landscape here was laid out aesthetically rather than in a botanical order, meaning Westonbirt is truly one of the most beautiful tree gardens to be found anywhere in the world.
Pop into the Welcome Building at the start of your visit – you’ll find lots of interesting information to help you make the most of your visit as well as stories about Westonbirt’s trees and how they are cared for.
Pick up a seasonal trail leaflet, which will guide you around some of the best beauties of our tree collection – hand-picked by us!
For families, taking a trip into the trees with our play trail is a great way to fire children’s imaginations, and in such beautiful surroundings, it’s an enjoyable adventure for the whole family.
- - -
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||from £8.00 to £15.00 per ticket|
|Child||from £3.00 to £7.50 per ticket|
Please see website for full seasonal pricing breakdown.
See website for event ticket prices.
The Student rate applies to students, cyclists, public transport users and jobseekers.
Group discounts are available based on a minimum group size of 10.
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Last admission 4.15pmDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Childrens Play Area
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Conference facilities - The Great Oak Hall and Education Centre are available to hire for corporate events.
- Dogs Accepted
- Event venue
- Open All Year
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Approx length of visit - 2.5 hours
- Forest Location
- In countryside
- Max group size - No maximum
- Min group size - 10
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free) - Included in the cost of admission
- American Express accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates - £3-£8
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - 10
- Groups Accepted - Please enquire for further details
Map & Directions
From Bath take the A4 to the A46, signposted Stroud. Continue for approx. 8 miles and follow brown signs to Westonbirt on the A46. From Bristol follow signs to the M32, then onto the M4. Leave at junction 18 onto the A46, signposted Stroud. Continue for approx. 6 miles and follow brown signs to Westonbirt on the A46. From Cirencester take the A419 then the A429 signposted Bath, Chippenham, continue forward on the A433 to Tetbury, take the A46 signposted Bath and follow the brown signs to Westonbirt on the A46.
Public Transport Directions
For information on train times contact National Rail on 08457 484950. For information on bus times contact Traveline on 0871 2002233. The nearest train station is Kemble which is located between the towns of Tetbury and Cirencester and is a 15 minute taxi journey from Westonbirt.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good692
- EatbristolBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLove the trees but hate the food offerSunday, 17th October 2021Have been to Westonbirt lots and it is great. Pretty busy today so less forest bathing more crowd avaoiding. Tried the Kitchen and this was really poor, the decor is great, the people serving... Read full review
- 1chooseyladyHerne Bay, United KingdomDidnt get here last year when we visited the area so came backSunday, 17th October 2021We stayed in in the area last year but didn't get to the Arboretum so decided we would make sure this time we would book and visit really worth a visit ended up walking 5hrs such colours and such... Read full review
- now_i_wonderBerkshire, United KingdomA Fantastic, Colourful day at WestonbirtSunday, 17th October 2021We had the pleasure of visiting Westonbirt on a lovely sunny Sunday in October, where the soft, raking light made the colourful leaves and vistas jewel-like. It's been a while since we last visited... Read full review