The Old Bell Hotel is currently serving a café style menu to include: Homemade soup, Sandwiches, cakes and Cream Teas from Monday to Wednesday 12pm till 5pm.
The Old Bell Hotel & Restaurant is a comfortable, country hotel full of character and charm, reputed to be the oldest purpose built hotel in England (c.1220) and Grade I Listed. The hotel nestles in the beautiful medieval Cotswold town of Malmesbury.
With crackling log fires, cosy corners, squashy sofas, plump duvets, fine linen and fabulous food and wine - this is pure indulgence.
The Old Bell Hotel is 75 yards from the famous Abbey House Gardens (open March - October) with over 2000 roses. These fabulous gardens were featured on BBC Gardeners' World in June 2002. Westonbirt Arboretum which runs the International Festival of Gardens event from June until September is 3 miles distant, and Highgrove, home of HRH Prince Charles, is also within 3 miles near the pretty town of Tetbury.
There is great shopping within 30 minutes' drive at Bath and the Swindon Designer Outlet. Or try an after lunch walk in the nearby Westonbirt Arboretum, followed by the newspapers and a traditional tea.
Experience History with comfort and delightfully individual.
We have 34 rooms individually designed and furnished with named after local historical figures and previous owners of this Grade 1 listed hotel. Each room is equipped with luxury bathrobes and Noble Isle toiletries plus 24 hour room service and free Wifi. We also have a number of dog friendly rooms.
Master in size, decoration and facilities. They are made for King and Queens. One room has a four poster and the other a super king size bed. The rooms are uniquely decorated and offer Hypnos mattresses, shower over a bath or bath and shower, Nespresso machine, safe, fridge, flat screen TV (free channels), complimentary Wi-Fi, parking and 24hrs room service with our night porter team. Freshly baked cookies, fresh fruits and macaroons on arrival.
All five rooms are in our main house on either the first or second floor, they are uniquely decorated and offer King size Hypnos mattresses, shower over a bath, Nespresso machine, safe, fridge, flat screen TV (free channels), complimentary Wi-Fi, parking, 24hrs room service with our night porter team and freshly baked cookies on arrival.
These rooms are in the main house on either the first or second floor, they are uniquely decorated and offer king size Hypnos mattresses, shower over a bath, Nespresso machine, safe, fridge, flat screen TV (free channels), complimentary Wi-Fi, parking, 24hrs room service with our night porter team and freshly baked cookies on arrival.
These rooms in the main house, are full of character and uniquely decorated. Larger than cosy room, they have stoneware with some exposed original beams and are situated on the first and second floors. King size Hypnos mattresses, shower over a bath, Nespresso machine, safe, fridge, flat screen TV (free channels), complimentary Wi-Fi, parking, 24hrs room service with our night porter team and freshly baked cookies on arrival.
Both master cosy rooms are in our coach house, which adjoins the main house, have king size Hypnos mattresses and shower over a bath. The rooms benefit of a lounge space with a sofa bed, tea and coffee facilities, flat screen TV (free channels), complimentary Wi-Fi and parking, 24hrs room service with our night porter team and freshly baked cookies on arrival. These rooms are perfect for families
Cosy rooms are in our coach house, which adjoins the main house. King size Hypnos mattresses, shower over a bath, tea and coffee facilities, flat screen TV (free channels), complimentary Wi-Fi, parking 24hrs room service with our night porter team and freshly baked cookies on arrival. Some of the rooms are large enough to accommodate either a Z-bed or a travel cot. Interconnecting cosy rooms are also available on the ground floor or first floor.
Ask for more details of our very special weekend breaks which are subject to season and availability.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Character Room||from £150.00 to £220.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Classic Room||from £180.00 to £270.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Cosy Room||from £120.00 to £140.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Junior Master Suite||from £220.00 to £320.00 per person (breakfast included)|
|Master Cosy Room||from £150.00 to £220.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Master Suite||from £260.00 to £370.00 per person (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||from £99.00 to £119.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|Open New Year|
|2020 (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Additional meal details - Most with notice.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Half board supplement (£) - £40 per person
- Room service
- Serve breakfast - 07:30-09:30 (Sundays 08:00-10:00).
- Serve evening meal - In The Refectory 18:30 -21:00.
- Serve lunch - In The Refectory 12:15 -14:00.
Children & Infants
- Accept children all ages
- Food/bottle warming available
- 24 hr return laundry service
- Accept coach parties
- Available for wedding receptions - Up to 80 persons.
- Broadband Internet Access
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem) - Wired broadband in all rooms, wireless in public areas.
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Ironing facilities
- Licenced for alcohol
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Night porter
- Open All Year
- Pets accepted
- Public telephone
- Real log/coal fires
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given) - French, German
- Wedding Venue
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Country house
- Haunted - Several images and incidents- unsurprising since the hotel is 800 years old and located next to The Abbey.
- In countryside - Southern edge of the Cotswolds.
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Dates back to 1220, reputedly the oldest purpose built hotel in England.
- French spoken
- German spoken
- Access to golf course - Bowood, Castle Combe, Chippenham.
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking
- Cycle hire
- Fishing - License holders can fish 5 minutes from hotel
- Gym - 5 minutes walk
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Electric shaver point
- Four poster beds available
- Free View TV
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Modem point in all bedrooms
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings
- Christmas/New Year Programme
- Honeymoon Breaks
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Garden enthusiasts
- Special provisions for cyclists
- Special provisions for lone female travellers - Well lighted parking with CCTV. Upgrade to room in main house (subject to availability). Locks and chains on all guest room doors.
Map & Directions
From M4, junction 17 M4 junction 17, follow signs to Cirencester and Malmesbury. Follow signs to town centre, turn left at top of High Street in front of Market Cross and drive round corner. Old Bell is then directly in front of you next to the Abbey. Parking at rear of hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Chippenham or Kemble railway station then taxi.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good242
- benmS2517LWTrip Type:CouplesNot a suiteSunday, 18th October 2020Staff are very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the suites aren't really suites - there's no seating area and the baths are definitely not free standing roll tops like in the pictures. Would... Read full review
- Andy HNewark-on-Trent, United KingdomFabulous location in historic MalmesburyTuesday, 20th October 2020I recommend the Old Bell without hesitation. I've spent three weeks there on business and it's become a home from home. It's location is just perfect, next to the historic Malmesbury Abbey, and a... Read full review
- carnage707Truro, United KingdomA pleasant stayTuesday, 27th October 2020We spent a very pleasant night at The Old Bell Hotel. Rob, the barman and night porter, is a lovely character who gave us some interesting information about the history of the hotel. The Classic room... Read full review