The Old Bell Hotel enjoys a prime location next door to Malmesbury Abbey, Abbey House Manor, and quaint shops and restaurants. This market town is the oldest borough in England and our hotel is said to be the oldest hotel in England dating back to 1220.
The restaurant is named Saints & Sinners with a nod to Malmesbury Abbey next door to us and the Saints statues on display, collected by the owners on their travels to Vietnam.
The restaurant serves delicious, fresh, local and seasonal dishes. Choose from our lunch menu full of classics and smaller plates to a decadent dinner full of truly wonderful dishes. Every plate is a celebration of Cotswold produce.
The lounges make the perfect setting to enjoy a quiet drink or one of the signature Afternoon Teas with friends during the day. In the evening savour one of the specially crafted cocktails from the 1220 bar in front of a warming fire or if the sun is shining then head out to one of the terraces or the pretty garden.
The new Tyger Bar has just opened, it’s covered and heated it is suitable for use all year round. The Tyger Bar offers a wide arrangement of cocktails along with frozen alcoholic concoctions.
The 34 rooms are individually designed and furnished with colourful wallcoverings, and interesting antiques and art. Many rooms are named after local historical figures and previous owners of this Grade 1 listed hotel. Each room has luxury bathrobes, Bramley toiletries, Dyson hairdryer, smart screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, gooseneck kettles and cafetieres.
There are 14 dog friendly rooms fitted with wood flooring available on request. Ask about the ‘Pampered Pooch’ luxury stays for your pet.
The two Master Suites are spacious, luxurious, and inviting. Both are located on the first floor in the main house. They are furnished with soft seating living spaces along with a desk area. These are rooms with stunning views over the gardens and the ancient town of Malmesbury. Enjoy Loring's four poster or Athelstan's superking bed.
All five Junior Masters are in the main house on either the first or second floor. Junior Master suites are uniquely decorated, and each brim with personality, perfect spaces to unwind after a busy a day. The Junior Masters have a mix of shower and bathtubs, and all have superking sized beds.
Situated in the main house, on the first and second floors, Classic rooms are each personally crafted with beautifully designed wallpaper and soft furnishings to ensure you experience a wonderfully relaxing stay. The Classic rooms each have a king size bed and each room has a combination of showers and bathtubs.
All five Character rooms are in the main house, split over the first and second floor, full of character (of course) and full of the signature style, some with exposed original beams. These rooms are slightly smaller than the Classic sized rooms. Each bathroom has a shower.
Gloriously stylish, both Master Cosy rooms are in the coach house. One is located on the ground floor and the other is on the first floor. The rooms benefit from a lounge space with a sofa bed. They both have showers, and one of the Master Cosy rooms comes with a ground floor patio. These rooms are excellent for families.
Cosy by name but packed full of style, these rooms are in the coach house, which adjoins the main house. The rooms are fitted with a double bed and the bathrooms have a with shower. Some of the Cosy rooms can be made into twin rooms and Interconnecting cosy rooms are also available on the ground floor or first floor.
The four single bedrooms are perfect for the solo traveler. These rooms don’t skimp on style and personality. All have their own shower.
The Old Bell Hotel is perfectly located just a few miles from the M4, with easy access to Bath, Bristol, and London. The surrounding area is well worth visiting including Westonbirt Arboretum which runs a year-round calendar of events with something to suit everyone. Highgrove, home of HRH Prince Charles, is also within 3 miles near the picturesque town of Tetbury
- Arrival Date:
- Wed , 6th Mar 2024
- Departure Date:
- Thur , 7th Mar 2024
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type
|Room / Unit Tariff*
|from £150.00 to £220.00 per room (breakfast included)
|from £180.00 to £270.00 per room (breakfast included)
|from £120.00 to £140.00 per room (breakfast included)
|Junior Master Suite
|from £220.00 to £320.00 per person (breakfast included)
|Master Cosy Room
|from £150.00 to £220.00 per room (breakfast included)
|from £260.00 to £370.00 per person (breakfast included)
|Single en suite
|from £99.00 to £119.00 per room (breakfast included)
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|Open New Year
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)
- Facilities for Disabled Visitors
- Additional meal details - Most with notice.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Half board supplement (£) - £40 per person
- Room service
- Serve breakfast - Monday – Friday 7-9.30 Saturday and Sunday are 7.30-10
- Serve evening meal - Monday – Friday 6-9 Saturday and Sunday 6-9.30
- Serve lunch - Monday – Saturday 12 - 3 Sunday Roast 12-6
Children & Infants
- Accept children all ages
- Food/bottle warming available
- 24 hr return laundry service
- Accept coach parties
- Available for wedding receptions - Up to 80 persons.
- Broadband Internet Access
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem) - Wired broadband in all rooms, wireless in public areas.
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted
- Event venue
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Ironing facilities
- Licenced for alcohol
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Night porter
- Open All Year
- Pets accepted
- Public telephone
- Real log/coal fires
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given) - French, German
- Wedding Venue
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Country house
- Haunted - Several images and incidents- unsurprising since the hotel is 800 years old and located next to The Abbey.
- In countryside - Southern edge of the Cotswolds.
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Dates back to 1220, reputedly the oldest purpose built hotel in England.
- French spoken
- German spoken
- Access to golf course - Bowood, Castle Combe, Chippenham.
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking
- Cycle hire
- Fishing - License holders can fish 5 minutes from hotel
- Gym - 5 minutes walk
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Electric shaver point
- Four poster beds available
- Free View TV
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Modem point in all bedrooms
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings
- Christmas/New Year Programme
- Honeymoon Breaks
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Garden enthusiasts
- Special provisions for cyclists
- Special provisions for lone female travellers - Well lighted parking with CCTV. Upgrade to room in main house (subject to availability). Locks and chains on all guest room doors.
Map & Directions
From M4, junction 17 M4 junction 17, follow signs to Cirencester and Malmesbury. Follow signs to town centre, turn left at top of High Street in front of Market Cross and drive round corner. Old Bell is then directly in front of you next to the Abbey. Parking at rear of hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Chippenham or Kemble railway station then taxi.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good279
- Jessica TTrip Type:Friends getawayAmazing afternoon tea! A must!Sunday, 18th February 2024Came here for afternoon tea with a friends. We had a wonderful window seat. The decor was quirky and sophisticated at the same time. The food was incredible. One of us was dairy free and they catered... Read full review
- Mike DTrip Type:CouplesA wonderful hotelThursday, 29th February 2024A wonderful hotel. Friendly staff, amazing setting and stunning interior decor. Very comfortable public areas with roaring fires. It was very quiet when we were there so some wines on the List... Read full review
- Jorday DDelicious Early Mothers Day LunchSunday, 3rd March 2024We had a lovely meal for an early Mother’s Day lunch. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Good variety for Sunday Lunch and each person in our party found something they really enjoyed. Food was... Read full review