Get up close to magnificent locomotives, be a signalman in the GWR interactive Signal Box and drive the steam train simulator as you travel through STEAM’s story-telling displays!
STEAM tells the story of the men and women who built, operated and travelled on the Great Western Railway - a railway network that, through the pioneering vision and genius of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, was regarded as the most advanced in the world. Our museum is housed in a beautifully restored Grade II railway building in the heart of the former Swindon railway works.
For the latest information about STEAM’s busy event programme and special GWR exhibitions, or to find out about group talks and tours, our fantastic venue hire or corporate hospitality packages, please see the STEAM website.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|1 adult, 3 children||£30.35 per ticket|
|2 adults + 1 child||£25.50 per ticket|
|2 adults + 2 children||£32.65 per ticket|
|2 adults + 3 children||£38.50 per ticket|
|Adult 16+ years||£10.30 per ticket|
|Children 3-15yrs||£7.65 per ticket|
|Children under 3yrs||Free|
|Family ( 1 adult, 2 Children)||£23.20 per ticket|
|Season Ticket Adult||£20.70 per ticket|
|Season Ticket Child||£15.58 per ticket|
|Season ticket Family ( 1 adult, 2 Children)||£35.30 per ticket|
|Season ticket Family ( 2 adult 1 child)||£37.70 per ticket|
|Season ticket family ( 2 adults, 3 children)||£50.00 per ticket|
|Season ticket Family (2 adult 2 child)||£44.95 per ticket|
|Season Ticket Family 1 adult, 3 children||£42.50 per ticket|
|Season Ticket Senior||£17.00 per ticket|
|Senior Citizen||£8.30 per ticket|
|Student||£8.30 per ticket|
|Student season ticket||£17.00 per ticket|
Special discounts apply for groups of 15 or more.
Free admission to carer or helpers assisting a disabled visitor
You can buy a standard admission ticket for one day or why not pay a little extra to receive a great value STEAM season ticket giving you unlimited entry to the Museum for a whole 12 months! (excluding special event days)
Free admission to carers or helpers assisting a disabled visitor.
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* STEAM Museum is open every day of the year (except 24 - 26 December):
Monday to Saturday 10.00am to 5.00pm (last admission 4.00pm)
Sunday 11.00am to 4.00pm (last admission 3.00pm)
Please do check their website in good time before you visit for any updates regarding opening times. http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Automatic entrance doors. Low-level counters at the Ticket Desk, Shop and Cafe. Personal guiding scheme for unaccompanied disabled visitors (booking required). Free loan of wheelchair or motorised scooter.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop system at the Ticket Desk. Subtitled video
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Large print info panels, displays to touch, experience sounds,smells. Easy to read signage.
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Guide, hearing and companion dogs welcome (dog bowls available)
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - Free parking for disabled visitors is available within 25 metres of STEAM. Disabled visitors can be dropped off outside the museum entrance. There is level access to STEAM from all car parking areas. Please phone for details.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Fully accessible toilets, fitted with call point
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Open All Year
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Approx length of visit - 02:30
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 200
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- Parking (charge) - No charge (show STEAM ticket)
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 15
- Special group rates
- Switch accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - .
Map & Directions
Follow the brown tourist signs for the Outlet Centre, Great Western Heritage Area, or the ‘M’ for STEAM Museum sign.
STEAM can be found to the left of the Food Court entrance of the Outlet Centre.
STEAM can also be reached through the ‘at home’ section of the Outlet Centre.
Retain your admission ticket and claim free parking at the Outlet Centre car park.
Details are available when visitors buy their admission tickets at STEAM.
Public Transport Directions
Walking from Swindon railway station – turn right outside the station and walk along Station Road towards Emlyn Square, staying on the right-hand side of the road.
Walk through the second underpass on the right (GWR tunnel) and up the ramp at the end.
Then follow the signposts to STEAM.
This is a 10 to 15 minute walk.
- STEAM - Museum of Great Western Railway
- STEAM - Reopening.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good419
- D621BFairford, United KingdomBrilliantWednesday, 16th December 2020Brilliant, fascinating and cleverly laid out. In the spotlight of the telling of the history of the GWR works are Swindon-made steam train exhibits that you can get really close to. Impressive... Read full review
- ramon_woolfeWiltshire, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAuthentic trains galoreSunday, 27th December 2020A delightful family trip that exceeded our expectations especially located conveniently in a busy town centre with a wealth of historical information that you can actually smell, taste, hear, feel... Read full review
- HospitalityrusTrip Type:Solo travelDreadful avoid go somewhere elseTuesday, 11th May 2021Went to steam today in Swindon all I ended up doing is driving round and avoiding bus lanes there no signs at all and when you do find a car park it's 12 pounds to park all day as it's part of a... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021