*The Merchant's House Shop is now open again from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Saturday. New safety measures are in place. Find out more. The house and gardens are now open for a limited number of tours daily from Monday to Friday at 1:00pm to a maximum of four visitors from the same household at a charge of £20.*
The House of Thomas Bayly was built following the Great Fire of Marlborough in 1653. Over the years 1653-1700 a fine timber and brick building was constructed, its interior panelled, brilliant with wall paintings and with a commanding oak staircase. A substantial amount of this fabric survives and hidden painted decoration is still being revealed.
Many of us are familiar with homes of the aristocracy; here is a rare opportunity to view a 17th century house of the type many of us might have lived in.
Thomas was a prosperous silk mercer whose lifestyle is reflected in the spacious and elegant rooms on show.
The house is a living place. Throughout the season there are demonstrations of costume making, needlework and historic paint conservation. Musicians often play music appropriate to the period.
The conservation that is still taking place makes the Merchant's House a special and unusual visitor attraction. Each year more of its splendours are being revealed and many visitors return regularly to view progress on the project.
There is a shop within The Merchant's House stocking a wide range of gifts to suit all ages and occasions.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£7.50 per ticket|
|Under 16s||£1.00 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
|2020 – Shop open Monday – Saturday 10am to 4pm (6 July 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Pre-booked House and Garden guided tours available Monday to Friday at 1pm until Friday 25th September 2020. Additional tours may be available at other times. Please call 01672 511491 to enquire.
The museum remains closed.
Monday | Guided tour at 1pm | Shop open 10am – 4pm
Tuesday | Guided tour at 1pm | Shop open 10am – 4pm
Wednesday | Guided tour at 1pm | Shop open 10am – 4pm
Thursday | Guided tour at 1pm | Shop open 10am – 4pm
Friday | Guided tour at 1pm | Shop open 10am – 4pm
Saturday | No tours | Shop open 10am – 4pm
Sunday | No tours | Shop closed
Groups by arrangement at other times.
Guided tours generally last between 1 hour and 1 hour 30 mins and include the House & Garden.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access - some areas
- Open All Year
- Out of Hours Visits
- Approx length of visit - one hour
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - House by appointment only. Shop open regular hours.
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Parking (charge) - town centre car parks
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Visa accepted - Accepted in Shop
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Please book in advance
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals - Tues, Fri & Sat from 1st April to 31 Oct
Map & Directions
The main A4 London to Bath road runs through Marlborough - 30 miles from Bath and 75 miles from London. Use one of the town's many convenient car parks.
Public Transport Directions
There are regular bus services to Marlborough from surrounding towns and villages.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good23
- AndrewsmynameOxfordshire, United KingdomLucky to get a guided tour!Wednesday, 4th March 2020First, a word of warning ... looking online showed the Merchants House to be open the day we went, but that only applied to its shop. The house itself turned out not to be open for visits until... Read full review
- mariv6261Aylesbury, United KingdomWell worth the visitTuesday, 29th September 2020Very interesting - Gordon who did our guided tour was very knowledgeable and gave us a fascinating insight into the history of this house and a additional local knowledge on how it fitted into local... Read full review
- Mr_Hatcher51Saltash, United KingdomVery Interesting! Cannot reccomend enough!Thursday, 8th October 2020Fascinating tour of The Merchants House. We had a very knowlegable guide and appreciated the explanations and descriptions of each room and it's contents. We also bumped in to the Trust Manager who... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020