*Abbey House Gardens are now open again, with social distancing practices in place. Find out more.*
Beside the Abbey Church in Malmesbury and straddling the River Avon, this truly spectacular 5 acre garden has brought praise from around the world.
These are just some of the comments from our visitor’s book:
‘I thought I’d seen all the best gardens in the world – until now!’
‘The loveliest truly English garden on the planet!’
'This garden alone made my visit to the UK worthwhile’.
With over 1000 years of history, burial place of an English King, knot gardens, herb gardens, river walk, monastic fish ponds, waterfall, over 2,000 different roses (largest collection in the UK), over 100,000 tulips, 10,000 different plants with constant colour from March to November, these 5 acres are a must see garden and history experience with an approximately half hour drive from Bath.
p.s. you can even get married here!’
We are open 11am – 5.30pm from 21st March to 31st October.
|2021 (21 Mar 2021 - 31 Oct 2021)|
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Light refreshment
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- In town/city centre
- French spoken
- Min group size - 20
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Please contact website for details
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Length of tour approximately 80 minutes
Map & Directions
From M4 jct 17, Stanton St Quinton roundabout take exit signposted Cirencester. Continue on A429 entering through Lower Stanton St Quinton, continue on A429 through Corston and Burton Hill and on entering Malmesbury at Priory Post take second exit onto High Street (signposted town centre) - Market Cross at the top of High Street. Total - 7 miles.
Public Transport Directions
From Chippenham bus station - 10 miles. Monday - Friday service no. 92/93 departs on the hour every hour to Malmesbury - approximate time 35 minutes.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good103
- POTTERS-LONDONLondonBeautiful GardenFriday, 25th September 2020What a lovely surprise in the town to find these gardens, we really enjoyed our visit to them. Very unexpected, don't miss this garden if you are in the town. Read full review
- tonylord70Leicester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDogs welcomeWednesday, 7th October 2020What a super, tranquil spot. Beautiful now but I should imagine even more spectacular in the Summer months. Also dog friendly, almost didn't visit as I had read somewhere that dogs were not allowed... Read full review
- ELondonTravellerLondon, EnglandTrip Type:FamilySuch a beautiful spot!Wednesday, 21st October 2020Found this beautiful place when we stayed the night here 5 years ago through airBnB and now we always go visit when in malmesbury. Stunning Koi, stunning landscapes gardens and the river below... Read full review