Bowood House & Gardens will open to the public for its 47th year in 2022.
Bowood is the magnificent family home of the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne.
Begun c1720, Bowood House was purchased by the 2nd Earl of Shelburne in 1754 and completed soon afterwards.
Interesting rooms include Robert Adam's Library, the Laboratory where Dr Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen in 1774, and the Chapel that is still used for family services.
On display within the numerous Exhibition Rooms are remarkable collections of family heirlooms and works of art built up over 250 years.
These include Georgian costumes; Victoriana, Indiana and superb collections of watercolours, miniatures and jewellery.
The pleasure grounds cover approximately 100 acres, with the formal gardens and terraces immediately around the house.
Bowood House itself is set in the middle of Capability' Brown's grade 1 park.
The upper terrace was designed by Sir Robert Smirk in 1818, the lower terrace by George Kennedy in 1851.
The pleasure grounds, which form part of Capability Brown's grand design of 1760, contain an outstanding collection of trees and shrubs, all of which are labelled and can be identified with the aid of a tree guide.
There are, within the collection, nine champions.
The original plantings date back to the 1760's.
Bowood's separate Rhododendron Walks which are open late April to mid-June, depending on the flowering season are located almost 2 miles from the house.
The third Marquis of Lansdowne began developing this woodland area in 1854.
Almost thirty original hardy hybrid rhododendrons, which were thought to be extinct, have recently been discovered within the collection making it one of the earliest rhododendron gardens in the country.
Families love the amazing Adventure Playground, one of the most exciting playgrounds in Wiltshire.
Bowood House boasts a life-size pirate ship, aerial rope walks, giant slides and the famous Space Dive.
The parkland provides ample space for games and picnics, the perfect location for children to burn off their endless energy.
NEW for 2022, A new area The Activity Barn located within the Den focusing on fun activities for our intrepid under 7 and inquisitive under 4 visitors.
The Treehouse is located at the entrance to the grounds, serving a selection of freshly made meals or delicious homemade cakes; Bowood provides an ideal family day out!
Please visit Bowood website for prices.
Group rates (for groups of 12 or more). All visitors with disabilities and their carers/assistants are charged at half the normal admission rate.
Tickets allow access to Bowood House and Gardens and the Adventure Playground. The Rhododendron Walks are open mid-April to early June. See website for dates and prices.
|2022 (1 Apr 2022 - 1 Nov 2022)|
Bowood House & Gardens is open for the 2022 Season from 1 April until 1 November 2021
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Childrens Play Area
- No Dogs
- On-Site café/restaurant - Licensed restaurant, for 80 max, coffee shop for 70 plus. Ice cream kiosk at certain times. (weekends and school holidays.)
- Picnic Site
- Event venue
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 999
- Min group size - 20
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Arabic printed material
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking preferable if catering is required.
Map & Directions
Close to J17 of the M4. Nearest major road is A4.
Between Chippenham and Calne turn into village of Derry Hill.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Chippenham station.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good234
- D462HJcharlotterTrip Type:FamilyGood fun for kids poor cafeTuesday, 26th October 2021We did the autumn trail which was good and the children played in the adventure playground, which is excellent. We went to the cafe for lunch and despite it being half term at 12.30 there were no... Read full review
- annie20061Tidworth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesImpressive house & gardensSaturday, 7th May 2022We arrived just before Bowood opens at 11.00am and went straight to the house. We were the first ones in the house and had it all to ourselves. The guide at the door was very knowledgeable and... Read full review
- vald2022Well worth a visit.Saturday, 21st May 2022Beautiful Gardens, lovely to stroll around. Spectacular views.. House has so much history in it, and well worth a look. Nice cafe, huge play area for kids, nice shop. Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous Garden of the Year Award 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021