Bowood House & Gardens will open to the public for its 45th year in 2020. 2020 Opening dates are from 1 April – 1 November 2020. Bowood is the magnificent family home of the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne.
Begun c1720, Bowood House was purchased by the 2nd Earl of Shelburne in 1754 and completed soon afterwards.
Interesting rooms include Robert Adam's Library, the Laboratory where Dr Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen in 1774, and the Chapel that is still used for family services.
On display within the numerous Exhibition Rooms are remarkable collections of family heirlooms and works of art built up over 250 years.
These include Georgian costumes; Victoriana, Indiana and superb collections of watercolours, miniatures and jewellery.
The pleasure grounds cover approximately 100 acres, with the formal gardens and terraces immediately around the house.
Bowood House itself is set in the middle of Capability' Brown's grade 1 park.
The upper terrace was designed by Sir Robert Smirk in 1818, the lower terrace by George Kennedy in 1851.
The pleasure grounds, which form part of Capability Brown's grand design of 1760, contain an outstanding collection of trees and shrubs, all of which are labelled and can be identified with the aid of a tree guide.
There are, within the collection, nine champions.
The original plantings date back to the 1760's.
Bowood's separate Rhododendron Walks which are open late April to mid-June, depending on the flowering season are located almost 2 miles from the house.
The third Marquis of Lansdowne began developing this woodland area in 1854.
Almost thirty original hardy hybrid rhododendrons, which were thought to be extinct, have recently been discovered within the collection making it one of the earliest rhododendron gardens in the country.
Families love the amazing Adventure Playground, one of the most exciting playgrounds in Wiltshire.
Bowood House boasts a life-size pirate ship, aerial rope walks, giant slides and the famous Space Dive.
There is an indoor Soft Play Palace for younger children and birthday party packages are available.
The parkland provides ample space for games and picnics, the perfect location for children to burn off their endless energy.
NEW for 2020, A new area focusing on fun activities for our intrepid under 7 and inquisitive under 4 visitors.
The Treehouse is located at the entrance to the grounds, serving a selection of freshly made meals or delicious homemade cakes; Bowood provides an ideal family day out!
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (17 and Over)||£13.50 per ticket|
|Child (2-6 Years)||£8.25 per ticket|
|Family Day Ticket 1 (2 Adults & 1 Child)||£33.25 per ticket|
|Family Day Ticket 2 (2 adults & 2 Children)||£40.50 per ticket|
|Family Day Ticket 3 (2 adults & 3 Children)||£48.00 per ticket|
|Junior (7-12 Years)||£10.25 per ticket|
|Senior Citizen (60 years+)||£11.25 per ticket|
|Young Adult (aged 13-16 Years)||£11.25 per ticket|
2020 Season Tickets are available for purchase, more information on the website.
Group rates (for groups of 12 or more) and season tickets are available. All visitors with disabilities and their carers/assistants are charged at half the normal admission rate.
Tickets allow access to Bowood House and Gardens and the Adventure Playground. The Rhododendron Walks will re-open in April 2020.
|2021 (1 Apr 2021 - 1 Nov 2021)|
Bowood House & Gardens is open for the 2020 Season from 1 April until 1 November 2020
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Childrens Play Area
- No Dogs
- On-Site café/restaurant - Licensed restaurant, for 80 max, coffee shop for 70 plus. Ice cream kiosk at certain times. (weekends and school holidays.)
- Picnic Site
- Event venue
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 999
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 20
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Arabic printed material
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking preferable if catering is required.
Map & Directions
Close to J17 of the M4. Nearest major road is A4.
Between Chippenham and Calne turn into village of Derry Hill.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Chippenham station.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good223
- WienetteSwindon, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWell run, covid secure and great funFriday, 23rd October 2020Haven't been to Bowood since lockdown but spent a very good day out there during half term. Everything was very well run with lots of sanitiser, immaculately clean toilets and plenty of staff... Read full review
- GabbystronMarlborough, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyRude, bullying groundsmenMonday, 16th November 2020Today at Bowood there was a very little man in his very little green truck with his very little dog, being rude to members of the public using the pathway, from the, Landsdowne pub entrance. Whilst... Read full review
- F9067XWleegTrip Type:FamilyImpressiveSaturday, 26th December 2020Stayed for Christmas 2020 with family from arrival to departure, Bowood staff made us feel so welcome. All staff members throughout were friendly and approachable, the restaurant was run so smoothly... Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous Garden of the Year Award 2014
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020