Bowood House & Gardens will open to the public for its 46th year in 2021. 2021 Opening dates are from 1 April – 1 November 2021. Bowood is the magnificent family home of the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne.
Begun c1720, Bowood House was purchased by the 2nd Earl of Shelburne in 1754 and completed soon afterwards.
Interesting rooms include Robert Adam's Library, the Laboratory where Dr Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen in 1774, and the Chapel that is still used for family services.
On display within the numerous Exhibition Rooms are remarkable collections of family heirlooms and works of art built up over 250 years.
These include Georgian costumes; Victoriana, Indiana and superb collections of watercolours, miniatures and jewellery.
The pleasure grounds cover approximately 100 acres, with the formal gardens and terraces immediately around the house.
Bowood House itself is set in the middle of Capability' Brown's grade 1 park.
The upper terrace was designed by Sir Robert Smirk in 1818, the lower terrace by George Kennedy in 1851.
The pleasure grounds, which form part of Capability Brown's grand design of 1760, contain an outstanding collection of trees and shrubs, all of which are labelled and can be identified with the aid of a tree guide.
There are, within the collection, nine champions.
The original plantings date back to the 1760's.
Bowood's separate Rhododendron Walks which are open late April to mid-June, depending on the flowering season are located almost 2 miles from the house.
The third Marquis of Lansdowne began developing this woodland area in 1854.
Almost thirty original hardy hybrid rhododendrons, which were thought to be extinct, have recently been discovered within the collection making it one of the earliest rhododendron gardens in the country.
Families love the amazing Adventure Playground, one of the most exciting playgrounds in Wiltshire.
Bowood House boasts a life-size pirate ship, aerial rope walks, giant slides and the famous Space Dive.
There is an indoor Soft Play Palace for younger children and birthday party packages are available.
The parkland provides ample space for games and picnics, the perfect location for children to burn off their endless energy.
NEW for 2021, A new area focusing on fun activities for our intrepid under 7 and inquisitive under 4 visitors.
The Treehouse is located at the entrance to the grounds, serving a selection of freshly made meals or delicious homemade cakes; Bowood provides an ideal family day out!
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (17 and Over)||£14.25 per ticket|
|Child (2-6 Years)||£8.75 per ticket|
|Family Day Ticket 1 (2 Adults & 1 Child)||£34.75 per ticket|
|Family Day Ticket 2 (2 adults & 2 Children)||£42.25 per ticket|
|Family Day Ticket 3 (2 adults & 3 Children)||£50.00 per ticket|
|Junior (7-12 Years)||£10.75 per ticket|
|Senior Citizen (60 years+)||£12.00 per ticket|
|Young Adult (aged 13-16 Years)||£12.00 per ticket|
Group rates (for groups of 10 or more) and season tickets are available. All visitors with disabilities and their carers/assistants are charged at half the normal admission rate.
Tickets allow access to Bowood House and Gardens and the Adventure Playground. The Rhododendron Walks will re-open in April 2022.
|2021 (1 Apr 2021 - 1 Nov 2021)|
Bowood House & Gardens is open for the 2021 Season from 1 April until 1 November 2021
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Childrens Play Area
- No Dogs
- On-Site café/restaurant - Licensed restaurant, for 80 max, coffee shop for 70 plus. Ice cream kiosk at certain times. (weekends and school holidays.)
- Picnic Site
- Event venue
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 999
- Min group size - 20
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Arabic printed material
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Groups Accepted - Pre-booking preferable if catering is required.
Map & Directions
Close to J17 of the M4. Nearest major road is A4.
Between Chippenham and Calne turn into village of Derry Hill.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Chippenham station.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good232
- lausamlondonTrip Type:FamilyPerfect for pre teensMonday, 30th August 2021This was a surprise hit of our holiday. My kids are 8 & 10 and grown out of soft play and many playgrounds. But the adventure playground here was awesome, they absolutely loved it. And more than that... Read full review
- BecciGlosGloucestershire, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWonderful day outTuesday, 31st August 2021Had the best day here yesterday. Arrived to ample parking. Friendly welcome and had an early lunch straight away at the Treehouse cafe - not a huge selection but fine for lunch and was enjoyable... Read full review
- coopergirl2016Bristol, United KingdomA step back in timeWednesday, 8th September 2021My parents visited Bowood house and gardens back n the 1970's but I had not as I was not born at that point. Upon arrival where pre booking is essential,the car park is large and free. A short... Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous Garden of the Year Award 2014
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021