Set high above the village of Wilton, Wilton Windmill was built in 1821 and was used until the 1930’s when it fell into disrepair. It was restored to working order in 1976 and is a Grade II Listed Building of Special Architectural and Historic Interest.
You can visit the Windmill site at any time – there is a picnic area with breath-taking views across to the Downs and the building can be viewed from the outside. Guided tours and access to the inside of the building are available during opening times. The shepherd’s hut shop, serving refreshments and gifts and providing a seating area, is also open at this time.
Special open days are held during the summer and are advertised on our website.
Wilton Windmill is the only working windmill in Wessex and still produces wholemeal, stone-ground flour, available at the Windmill and in local outlets:
Aldbourne Post Office, Cafe and Deli
13 The Square, Aldbourne, Wiltshire, SN8 2DU
Cobbs Farm Shop
Bath Rd, Hungerford, Berkshire RG17 0SP
Great Bedwyn Post Office
90 Church St, Great Bedwyn, Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 3PF
Marr Green Farm Shop
Collingbourne Road, Burbage, Wiltshire SN8 3RT (on the A338)
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Group - adult||£3.00 per ticket|
|Group - child||£2.00 per ticket|
|Mill - Adult||£5.00 per ticket|
|Mill - Child||Free|
|Mill - Senior||£3.00 per ticket|
Prices may vary on Special Event Days.
|2020 - *OPENING DELAYED* (15 Apr 2020 - 24 Sept 2020)|
* Groups by appointment
Easter Weekend open Saturday, Sunday and Monday but thereafter open every Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday until the end of September.
Other days, site is open but no guided tours or refreshments available. During the Winter, The site is still open, but again no guided tours or refreshments.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Refreshments are sold when the windmill is open (tea, coffee, cake etc)
- Picnic Site - All year.
- Coach drop-off point
- Dogs Accepted
- Event venue
- On-site coach parking - For one coach only - Narrow lanes may make access difficult.
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Toilets - When shop open.
- Approx length of visit - 45 minutes minimum.
- In countryside
- Max group size - 25
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - for a group of at least 10.
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - On road layby.
- On site parking - with permission.
- Parking (free) - On road layby.
- Cash & Cheque accepted
- Min group size - 10
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available - Prior to arrangement, minimum 10 people.
- Min group size numeric qualifier - 10.
- Groups Accepted
Map & Directions
From the A338 Salisbury to Hungerford road, turn at Burbage roundabout towards East Grafton on A338, after which the windmill becomes visible on the left. Then follow signs to Wilton Windmill. Windmill can be easily seen from A338.
Public Transport Directions
From Bedwyn Rail Station station it is 2 miles to Wilton Windmill.At present, no public transport.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good16
- Brian BReading, United KingdomExcellent afternoons enterrtainmentMonday, 16th September 2019Wilton windmill is a great treat as it is a really original working windmill where you can go in and get to grips with the history of this interesting past industry. The tours are about 40 minutes... Read full review
- 1122221123456789Fairford, United KingdomWindy miller fans must visitTuesday, 24th September 2019A hidden (almost) little attraction, guided tours are a must but can get busy. Lots of stairs so not good if you have walking issues. Read full review
- jl600393Marlborough, United KingdomNice working windmillThursday, 9th January 2020This is a restored windmill which can be seen working on certain days. Interesting to see the workings and knowledgeable volunteers to talk to about the grinding process. You can also purchase some... Read full review